Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Novice

what compares to Pappy's 15 or 20 year?!

To me, the best bourbon bargain out there -- when you can get it -- is Pappy Van Winkle's 15-year. For those that don't know it is so seasonal that I could only find it for about 2 weeks this year. It's about the same price as Pappy's 12-year, $40-$45, but a world above it. Next is the 20-year, which is awesome, but comes in around $100. So my question for you all is: for other Pappy lovers, what compares but is closer to $50 or $60 than $100? Thanks for any suggestions!

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: what compares to Pappy's 15 or 20 year?!

I'd go with Pure Kentucky XO (at about $35-$40) for whiskey seemingly 15 years old. Even though the label states 10 it seems older. I'd go Elijah Craig 18 years old for something in the 20 year range (many EC 18's seem to be older than 18 years judging by certain things on the label and other indications). True, these are rye-recipe bourbons, but very good ones. I think EC 18 goes for about the same price as the XO, maybe less in fact (I haven't bought it recently but it is a great bourbon).

Gary

Taster

Wild Turkey Rare Breed is a good one to try...comes in at 108 proof and has a hint of rye spiciness to complement a very rich, complex and slightly sweet overall character. Much cheaper too...around $34.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by gmhoffmann View Post
    To me, the best bourbon bargain out there -- when you can get it -- is Pappy Van Winkle's 15-year. For those that don't know it is so seasonal that I could only find it for about 2 weeks this year. It's about the same price as Pappy's 12-year, $40-$45, but a world above it. Next is the 20-year, which is awesome, but comes in around $100. So my question for you all is: for other Pappy lovers, what compares but is closer to $50 or $60 than $100? Thanks for any suggestions!

Save a boat-load of cash by drinking ORVW 10/107. In my opinion, it is far better than the 20. Actually, I feel it's better than the 15 as well but I realize that I'm in the minority.

But like I said, if you like the 15 then switch to the ORVW 10/107. It's the same bourbon (Bernheim) but 5 years younger and about $15 cheaper.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chipper View Post
    Wild Turkey Rare Breed is a good one to try...comes in at 108 proof and has a hint of rye spiciness to complement a very rich, complex and slightly sweet overall character. Much cheaper too...around $34.

I concur. Though, in my opinion, it's a much different flavor than any Van Winkle product out there.

Virtuoso

I agree with you. I have picked up a couple of bottles lately and was thinking today that we are about to go into 2008......subtract 15 and you get to year 1993....the year after S-W went defunct. Does that mean the current Pappy 15 is some of the last S-W product for the label? Or, do I recall somewhere on here reading from Julian that some BT wheat had already been used for Pappy 15 during a shortage in the near past? Lastly, does it really matter? With the highly trusted name of JVW & family on the label, probably not.
    Last edited by Old Lamplighter; 12-19-2007 at 18:53.

Connoisseur

As the avatar indicates, I'm a big PvW fan.
    Some other favorites: Jefferson Reserve, Four Roses Single Barrel, Wild Turkey American Spirit.

I can almost always find Pappy 20 or 15 at one of the Binny's. Not so consistent at Sam's. Skokie Binny's even had a bottle of 23 when I was there last month.
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Connoisseur

I find Old Fitzgerald 1849 similar, and the 15 year Van winkle is my favorite!

Apprentice

I agree that the Pappy 15 has got to be one of the best bargains out there - awesome, delicious whiskey - some of the very best. My understanding, though, is that we are about to see the very last of it (at least genuine Stitzel Weller whiskey), so stock up!
    Dave K.

"Time Flies whether you're having fun or not."
    Or, as Kermit the Frog would say after a pour or two: "Time is fun when you are having flies!"

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by SingleBarrel View Post
    I agree that the Pappy 15 has got to be one of the best bargains out there - awesome, delicious whiskey - some of the very best. My understanding, though, is that we are about to see the very last of it (at least genuine Stitzel Weller whiskey), so stock up!

I thought that Bernheim was in the PVW 15 now. Or, at the very least it was mingled with the SW. I'm not sure though.

Regarding value, yes, it's a good value but hard to find, for me anyway.