Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Guy from Ky

New Guy from Ky

Hey,

Not new to Bourbon but new to this site. Interest in Bourbon has peeked as a friend and I started to look into it more. It was sparked on by our love of fine coffee, its taste and its production. Friend and I both started touring various distilleries. I have recently read the Cowdery book Bourbon Straight and that only fueled the fire.

It is also part heritage since I am from Ky.

I have to comment on my name. I chose it b/c I am in a profession in which any interest in bourbon or any other alcohol is looked down upon. I don't think its fair but its the price I pay to do what I do.

But look forward to the conversations.

Connoisseur

Re: New Guy from Ky

Southern Baptist Minister?
    Mike
    "Some people were born on third base and think they hit a triple"

Quote Originally Posted by shyster512 View Post
    Southern Baptist Minister?
    Super Close. Different Denomination.

Connoisseur

I really have a hard time finding the Biblical prohibition on the responsible use of Alcoholic beverages. I know that stong drink is a mocker, but I also know that Jesus's first miracle was making the wedding wine, and one of his last acts was the symbolic wine at the Last Supper. I don't know why Baptist are so fundamentally opposed and put the prohibition in most Church Covenants.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by shyster512 View Post
    I really have a hard time finding the Biblical prohibition on the responsible use of Alcoholic beverages. I know that stong drink is a mocker, but I also know that Jesus's first miracle was making the wedding wine, and one of his last acts was the symbolic wine at the Last Supper. I don't know why Baptist are so fundamentally opposed and put the prohibition in most Church Covenants.
    You are right. There is nothing there that condemns its use. It obviously condemns drunkenness b/c of the repercussions it can have on life.

The only other prohibition is if it were to cause someone else to "stumble." Ex: If I were out somewhere and I was with a buddy who was a recovering alcoholic I would certainly not have a drink so that I might keep him from being temped and thus fall off the wagon.

But I am right with you. Its not just Baptists. Its many denominations.

Now I say that knowing that the fears to an extent are valid. Many lives have been axed b/c of alcohol but its not fair to remove it from those who use it rightly any more than you and I should walk to work tomorrow b/c many use cars in road rage acts.

Thanks for commenting here.

Connoisseur

As they say in church, "Amen."
    Mike

Virtuoso

CBL, welcome to the site. I was just listening to a local minister on CD this morning and he was saying just that! The reason most churches have grape juice now is not because the Bible says don't drink. The church does it for those who attend church with a problem and that sip of wine could send them on a week long bender. I am also a youth small group leader and host for the childrens service a our church! So welcome again and enjoy the ride. So much to learn about and so many to sample!!

Cheers!

Tony Curtis
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Quote Originally Posted by ACDetroit View Post
    CBL, welcome to the site. I was just listening to a local minister on CD this morning and he was saying just that! The reason most churches have grape juice now is not because the Bible says don't drink. The church does it for those who attend church with a problem and that sip of wine could send them on a week long bender. I am also a youth small group leader and host for the childrens service a our church! So welcome again and enjoy the ride. So much to learn about and so many to sample!!

Cheers!

Tony Curtis
    Thanks. I hope to be around some here and there.

Novice

It's more of a cultural thing than a religious thing. I don't think many Americans justify anti-drinking sentiments from the bible, they just "know" that it's wrong (along with gambling, and in some circles, dancing and card-playing).

Most religious people in other countries think that we Christians are hopelessly prudish when it comes to alcohol.

But, then again, this is the country that had the Prohibition, right?

Just keep your stash in the closet!

Apprentice

Welcome from another new guy from Ky. Your brief take on alcohol v. religion seems well thought out and logical and I couldn't agree more. Man's traditions and interpretation of the Bible leads us into more disagreements regarding very superficial things. As a teen I brought a bottle of IBC root beer to a youth lunch get together at the church and was mildly chastised because it was in a brown/dark colored bottle which in the view of the pastor was too close to the appearance of drinking beer. No judgement forthcoming from this congregation I'm sure.

Cheers!
    Dave

You're not drunk if you can lay on the floor without holdin' on.-Joe E. Lewis