Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Guru

Powers Gold Label

Santa brought me this bottle...my first Powers.

Color - light gold...like a lager beer.

Nose - smells something like nail polish remover....the pot still effect? Almost too much like neutral spirits...aldehyde?...I detect a vodka like smell.

Taste - the nose qualities carry over to the taste, light bodied, with a hint of sweetness in the taste...but I fail to detect full or complex flavors. It is drinkable...but I suppose the flavor profile simply reflects its pot still profile.

Finish...smooth, short.

I am rather disappointed...I know others really like Powers...but I favor Blackbush Black, Jameson. RedBreast has a strong pot still flavor but seems more complex. I assume that the triple distillation can cause an Irish whiskey to more closely resemble a grain neutral spirit. Am I off base here?
    Last edited by Jono; 12-25-2007 at 20:20.

Guru

Re: Powers Gold Label

To be fair, here are some reviews from another source...all rave about Powers Gold Label....obviously, taste is an individual thing:

http://www.epinions.com/reviews/John..._Irish_Whiskey

Taster

This has been my dessert whiskey lately. After the "heavy" bourbons/ryes I'll finish the night with a half pour of Powers gold label. Lovely everytime, like caramel apple candy. A little too easy-drinking if anything; usually I need to remind myself why I don't like hangovers so that I don't keep going!

Lighter whiskies don't get enough respect. At $17 I think this stuff's a true bargain.
    Last edited by Mamba; 12-25-2007 at 21:16.

Guru

Mamba,

Just to demonstrate individual differences...I don't pick up the caramel apple candy taste....I am glad you do as it makes the flavor more enjoyable.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Santa brought me this bottle...my first Powers....
    I am rather disappointed...I know others really like Powers...but I favor Blackbush Black, Jameson. RedBreast has a strong pot still flavor but seems more complex.
    Hi Jono:

My initial reaction is that whiskies like Blackbush and Redbreast are marketed at a different price point, and have more and older pot-still (or malt in the case of Blackbush) whiskies in them. I would rave about Powers relative to it's price point in comparison with JD or Crown Royal, all at similar prices up here.

If I had a choice of older whiskies than Powers, I'm sure I'd go for that instead. Older isn't nessisarily better, but the Powers blend is kinda young for me.

Guru

I was drinking it neat...I think I will try it with some water...mabye on the rocks..it may create a more agreeable taste. For price point comparison tasting...Bushmills white label....would be a competitor...not a big fan of it either. What we do for science!
    Last edited by Jono; 12-26-2007 at 07:11.

Guru

It has been some time since I have had any Powers Gold. I remember an almost creme soda quality; quite different from the orange 'creme savers' Life Savers quality I get from Redbreast. In the summer months I enjoy it on the rocks with a wee bit of added water.
    Last edited by ILLfarmboy; 12-26-2007 at 09:52.

Advanced Taster

I tried Powers Gold for the first time in a quaint hotel bar in Killarney, Ireland in late November. Most in our tour group was drinking Guinness or mixed drinks. I ordered a Powers. I was the only one drinking whiskey. Powers is light, creamy, simple, and has a subtle pot still flavor. I liked it so much I followed up with a double. The Irish Distillers web site says Powers Gold is a blend of pot still and grain whiskeys. At around $20 in the U.S., I think it is a great value if you want a light and easy drinking whiskey.

Enthusiast

It runs about $14.99 around here. I feel it's a great change of pace from some of the stronger whiskeys that I typically pour.

Chris

Apprentice

Gearing up early for Saint Patrick's arrival...

Seems like every bartender I know drinks Jameson, but lately Powers has been making the rounds, maybe a reaction to the saturation level of the "Jamie" (as they call it on "The Wire").

I def. prefer the Powers gold to regular Jameson, but age/barreling does wonders for the Irish mash bill, esp. with Bushmills - I have been really digging a bottle of Bushmills 16YO lately. Their MD Colum Egan seems on the ball, using port pipes to full effect on the palate and finish.

I have had a Jameson 18 kicking around for a few years with barely a dent in it - it's got a real cat-pee/boxwood-smell thang going on (!) - wine people talk about this, but i just can't seem to hang.

My Ma, a Jameson (and cheap Scotch!) fan, is originally from Wales, so I gave her a bottle of the Penderyn, the only Whisky distilled there - pretty mellow when I tasted it at WhiskyFest.

Anybody try Clontarf? I think they get their unaged stuff from Irish Distillers - the Jameson/Redbreast/Midleton people...

The Irish are a nice switch-up, but it's nice to come home to Bourbon after the snakes are driven out...the Irish feels like you've been drinking watered-down Sweet Tea...