Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 21 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What Are You Drinking Tonight, Winter'07/'08

Last night I got back into that McAfee's Benchmark from BT. As far as a bang/buck pour, it is fantastic. Very sweet on the nose and incredibly drinkable.

Does anyone know from which mash bill the Benchmark hails? My guess is the low rye bourbon (BT #1, I think). Any confirmation would be appreciated!
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut

Apprentice

Tonight, I opened a new bottle of Pappy Lot B and had a couple of pours. Very good.

Virtuoso

Cheers, Macon !!!

Lot B is Fantastic !!!!

It's 07 Larue Weller for me. Me thinks me in love !!!!

Advanced Taster

Had several pours tonight to honor my mother-in-law coming into town this evening.

JB Black -- was actually pretty pleasantly surprised. Had a nice rye tang and some caramel sweetness; similar to Basil Hayden's but with more roundness. More integrated and balanced sweetness than OGB, which to me isn't as well integrated. Don't get me wronge -- OGD satisfies more and wins in the end but it isn't as refined as one might desire. Overall, feeling as though this was a good buy and I'm warming to it and respecting Beam for this product.

Rittenhouse Rye BIB -- just absolutely love the gingerbread finish on this and the candy front. I cannot help but think of the price as I drink it and I come back to it nightly. Only a few bottles are available locally and I cannot help but to worry about being shut out of one of my daily pours.

Elmer T. Lee -- a balanced product with sufficient rye finish and viscosity that just doesn't jump out for me as unique or overly compelling. Right in every way but just not striking.

Bookers -- I know it's cheating but there is just something about the power and viscosity of high proof bourbon. Love the refreshing oomph of everything coming at me at 100 mph. Booker's may be baby Stagg but it certainly seems comfortable in its role.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by felthove View Post
    Bookers -- I know it's cheating but there is just something about the power and viscosity of high proof bourbon. Love the refreshing oomph of everything coming at me at 100 mph. Booker's may be baby Stagg but it certainly seems comfortable in its role.
    I couldn't agree more. I always have a bottle of bookers in my stash !!!

Good Call !!!

Connoisseur

A Heineken, ORVW 10/107 and WTRB.

Taster

Four roses small batch, antique weller 107, and lot B to finish, Mark

Guru

Stagg 06... neat

Tonight was a night of exploration. Ended up at a bar called The Scottish Arms, as you can probably tell Bourbon isn't there specialty - think of it as Bourbons Bistro for the Scotch nut... When in Rome...

After a EC18 I tried Bruidladdich 15 year and found it pretty good nothing spectacular but decent enough. Then I noticed they offer flights of small pours so I did what they call the Queens Tour and chose Macallan 18 year, Laphroaig 15 year and Isle of Jura Superstition. Well first off the Laph. was just a touch above horrible! Medicinal and just plain bad - sorry not at all to my taste. The Macallan was good but seemed pretty one dimensional. Honestly I think I enjoyed the Isle of Jura the most it had evident layers of flavor and a great chocolatey toffee finish that really lasted.

Not going to add a bottle of Scotch to my bunker any time soon, but will enjoy this bar quite a few more times while out here on expenses.

One thing I do have to add and I don't know if it was just this barkeep but their pours were very stingy! I mean a "dram" which costs more than a shot is still not what I'd call a good pour by any means! I am hoping it was the guy pouring and not the standard for this place..... Oh yeah, and for what you get the prices are pretty high!
    Last edited by Virus_Of_Life; 01-17-2008 at 22:15.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Novice

Last night my wife and I enjoyed a glass of her favorite Bourbon Rowan's creek. I'm slowly moving her off of Vodka and Gin!