Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 51 of 81 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What Are You Drinking Tonight, Winter'07/'08

I am having Weller's Special Reserve, the bottle of the month.... there is nothing offensive in this bourbon..... It is easy to drink... I don't think it has the fruitiness of the antique or something like OGD114 or 4 Roses, but it is certainly mellow and easy to drink..... I would put it in there with Very Old Barton as far as being a good ol bourbon thats just right for drinking

Enthusiast

its not exactly night... can we change the name of the thread to ... what are you drinking today? this is embarrasing! well, when this bottle is gone, I probably won't buy another... but if you drink it in the right frame of mind it actually has a lot of great characteristics to it... TW Samuels after drinking something tasty is good... BUT I have to look for the part of the taste that I like.... Its not especially sweet.. more dry... so... if you aspirate it when you drink it... it flips up the taste! I mean suck it into your mouth with air up against your top palate.... like slurping some hot soup.....

OK, THEN... you find it... what you look for in a premium bourbon taste.... (next I will try this on Old Crow).... but seriously.....

What makes a bourbon a red color? This stuff is on the red side of amber... to me that means there is a lot of good stuff in there... its just learning how to appreciate it...

Can bourbon be an acquired taste?

Guru

Couple of things. Small pour of Weller SR, poured the last dram from my ORVW 10/107 and took a small swig of Makers.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Enthusiast

Well It was Bourbon last night but tonight it is Beer. Fuller's 1845 bottle conditioned ale. This is an excellant bottle an one that I will be stocking up on. Very cool bottle as well. Man I love good Beer.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Connoisseur

It's been a Van Winkle night, Lot B and Pappy 15......great way to end the weekend.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by HipFlask View Post
    Well It was Bourbon last night but tonight it is Beer. Fuller's 1845 bottle conditioned ale. This is an excellant bottle an one that I will be stocking up on. Very cool bottle as well. Man I love good Beer.
    Fuller's 1845 is an awesome "real ale!" I love the fruit on the nose. I've tried other English bottle conditioned "real ales" but none seem to quite get to that point, and for the price, you can't beat it! I wish I had some right now!

Last night for me was OC the Classic 90. A nice pour, but I wished for a little more wood influence at 12 years. Will try it again today to see if I find it any different. (Still coming off an illness and I don't fully trust my palate yet.)
    ~ Jeff ~

"A One That is Not Cold is Hardly a One at All."

Taster

Couple of beers tonight. Kentucky bourbon barrel ale.

Randy

Connoisseur

OC Classic 90 is all there will be on a short night for me. Had a long & wonderful 12th birthday today for my youngest.....she'll be a teenager next year and I'll have 2 teenage daughters to worry about at same time.

In the meantime, will have to store up more bourbon for those stormy days looming in the future.......nothing like sitting in the front porch rocker with a fifth in one hand, a glass in the other, and a 12 ga pump across my lap waiting for the wolves to come sniffing around the house.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Tonight (wait for it), bourbon and water (on ice of course). A fine pre-prandial drink indeed. The bourbon was a well-balanced 10-whiskey personal vatting, but it might have been as good with just, say, Knob Creek on the rocks.

Gary

Connoisseur

Vintage 17. Mucho rye in this bourbon.

Someone in another thread likened it to PVW 15. Wow, not even close!!!!