Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Born with bourbon in my blood

Hi to all! Happy to be here.

I was born and raised in Frankfort KY and woke every morning with the sweet smell of sour mash hanging in the air. Maybe this is why I love bourbon?

I went through my wine and 'frou-frou drink' phase and have now permanently returned to the good stuff.

I look forward to chatting with y'all!

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: Born with bourbon in my blood

"I love the smell of sour mash in the morning...It smells like....Victory..."

Welcome to the Community KyWoman. I know you'll have a great time!

JOE

Guru

I have been to Bardstown three times.
    The last time when I smelled the mash in the air from the Barton Distillery it felt like someone saying "Welcome back".

Glad you found the site KyWoman, SB.com could use more of a Woman's touch.
    Right Bettye Jo and Dawn?
    ovh

Novice

Hey guys....it does seem like the women are outnumbered on this site. Alot of my girlfriends are afraid of stronger spirits - for whatever reason. I have converted a few, but for the most part they are still into wine and frou frou drinks.

We have a local liquor store that carries every brand of bourbon imaginable. It can be overwhelming....plus you don't want to spend $40 on a bourbon that you don't like. So I stick with the ones I know (Woodford, Beam Black and Makers) although I like Four Roses that the WildTurkey folks produce. I hope to get some good tips on some of the others to try.

I tried a small sample bottle of the Booker's and it was good and strong....definitely something for special occasions.

Growing up I knew people who worked for National Distillers and Ancient Age. The first alcohol I every tried was Ancient Age...! Needless to say I ended up talking to Ralph on the big white phone. People in my home town bought the used whiskey barrels and planted flowers in them - the smell of the whiskey lingered for about 6 months. It is ironic because alot of these folks were straight laced Baptists...
    Last edited by KyWoman; 12-27-2007 at 15:39.

Quote Originally Posted by KyWoman View Post
    ...although I like Four Roses that the WildTurkey folks produce...
    Four Roses Distillery (owned by Japan's Kirin) makes Four Roses Bourbon, not Wild Turkey. I guess even Kentucky folks don't realize there are TWO distilling companies in Lawrenceburg.
    But, you're right -- Four Roses is fine bourbon, by Jim (Rutledge, that is, not Russell)!
    http://www.fourroses.us/
    Last edited by TNbourbon; 12-27-2007 at 16:05.
    Tim

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

"...I ended up talking to Ralph on the big white phone." (BTW, I wish I knew how to quote only a part of a previous post ) That's a new one for me, I love it! That will now officially replace "Praying to the porcelain God" in my vernacular. Almost makes me want to start a new Off Topic thread: How many ways can you say "Barf"?

Cheers!

JOE

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Colonel Ed
    Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Comissioned by Paul Patton, 1999

"It ain't the booze that brings me in here, it's the solace it distills"

Virtuoso

Welcome KyWomen, and I hope you enjoy your stay. That coming from another Northerner. Maybe try some Weller 12yr. if you get a chance, I really like it for the money.

Cheers!

You started it.
    Now that's funny Mr. Ed, but I did not see blowing your Groceries on the list ! No not the Grocery list!

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

Welcome!!! Glad to have another gal in the ranks Don't let the boys intimidate you....they're not that tough!! LOL!!

Dawn

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

It is ironic because alot of these folks were straight laced Baptists...
    My forte, thanks for counting me in........

I'm on a crusade to dispel what I can of this lingering issue. Fermentation is Gods immutable law, when the Bible says Wine it means Wine and not Grape Juice. Stopping fermentation would have been a challenge way back when. I did find a reference to using mustard seed to cease it,I didn't read on to see if that merely was a matter of faith or if it really worked. The churches took sides on the alcohol issue before prohibition, that lingers to the present and it was only a political issue of the day prior to 1920.

Welcome here!
    ___Bobby Cox___

May you have wonderful things thought of to do...