Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

Bourbon in Spain

Those of you who are "well traveled"....is there any bourbon to be purchased in Spain that I can't get here?? My boss is heading to Spain over the holidays and has agreed to hit a liquor store or two....he and his wife will be looking for wines....he can be coaxed into the bourbon aisle

Dawn

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Bourbon in Spain

Dawn, I will be in Spain soon and have been checking bourbon resources there.

In Barcelona, a store whose website is www.spiritscorner.com has many offerings not available in the U.S.

Even if your boss will be in another part of Spain, my experience is that any good store would probably have many of what I'll list since they probably get their supplies from the same distributors in many cases.

E.g., the store I mentioned has a 10 year old JTS Brown and numerous brands we don't hear of here like Black Crow, Faster, Marshall's, Old Virginia (in 8 and 12 year old versions), Stars & Stripes (gotta get that one), Rittenhouse Rye 10 years old, and an intriguing item called "Rye Whiskey Van Winkle un-chillfiltered". I thought this might be a version of ORVW 13 year old rye but the latter is listed separately, so not sure what this other one is.

I would search, say "bourbon + Madrid", or whichever city he will go to, to find out the main whisky retailers there and I am sure they will have many of the unusual brands I mentioned.

On the spiritscorner.com site, click on "productos" on the left, then on bourbon on the menu again on the left and you will see the bourbons I mentioned. Good luck.

Gary

Gary -- as I think you know already -- if you don't buy a 10yo Rittenhouse rye, if available, you're a fool! (And I know that's not the case!)
    If you don't want one, please bring one (or 12) back to me!
    Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Gotta get some of that Faster Bourbon...lol

The Unchill filtered seems to be the Van Winkle 1985 Rye that was so heralded

Never seen a Canadian Club 20yo that I can recall

How about a Glen Breton Ice Wine Barrel?

Or Green Spot Irish...

This place in amazing actually...
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur

I can only second the recommendation for Rittenhouse 10yo. It is not made anymore and the stocks are dwindling fast. Buy!

The 1985 Van Winkle is another goodie. Also on its way out.
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post

Never seen a Canadian Club 20yo that I can recall
    It's available duty free in Australia, and it is amazing. Lots of caramel and vanilla, extremely easy to drink!!

cheers

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Good eye on that Glen Breton Timothy, I've not seen that locally (to the best of my recollection).

Gary

Guru

I'm a sucker for cool labels. That Stars and Stripes is just too good. Wonder why we don't get it here.

Squire

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

I wish I could get the images for the Van Winkle stuff.....I don't have a ORVW in a tall bottle....would be fun just for the different kind of bottle (All mine are squats)

Enthusiast

In the non-bourbon department, I give my highest recommendation to the Gonzalez Byass Lepanto Oloroso Viejo Brandy. It is the regular Lepanto brandy (also very good) aged in oloroso sherry casks. I have been trying to find it in the US for a few years, but it is unavailable.
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut