Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

Re: What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Winter'07/'08

Decided to try some bottom shelf (or middle shelf in some stores) bourbons. Got Ancient Ancient Age 10 star and Old Grand-dad Bonded.
    I've opened the AAA and so far it's not bad at all. Can anyone tell me if the AAA 10 year old is really that much better than the 10 star, or is it just a little better?
    -James

"May you die well!" - Klingon toast

Guru

wooohooo made a good trade for some 05 William Laura Willer today...

Thank you Illfarmboy!!!!

Guru

Today while out and about I picked up a bottle of WT RR 101 and a bottle of Power's Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Everman75 View Post
    Decided to try some bottom shelf (or middle shelf in some stores) bourbons. Got Ancient Ancient Age 10 star and Old Grand-dad Bonded.
    I've opened the AAA and so far it's not bad at all. Can anyone tell me if the AAA 10 year old is really that much better than the 10 star, or is it just a little better?
    Sorry I can't help you with the AAA 10 Star Vs. 10 Year. All I have ever had is the 10 Star. I wasn't overly impressed. If I recall correctly, among those who have had both, the 10 year gets much better reviews, which isn't surprising.

The Old Granddad bottled-in-bond is very good. Not at all deserving of its lower/bottom shelf status.

Guru

I have not had the 10 Star but I do have a number of bottles of the AAA 10 year and I find it to be quite good. Not exception, but good. At 86 proof at about $11 a liter, it a good bargain....well, at least it was.....can't find it anymore.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Virtuoso

Not bourbon, but, a back-up bottle of VWFRR this evening along with a bottle of Cinzano for Manhattans tonite. However, not planning to use the VW for the mix....strictly neat on the FRR. Found my 'lost' bottle of Rittenhouse BIB as well as going to try some RRR for same.

Well thanks to some BS at work I didn't make it over to Kentucky as planned!!

I worked some in the morning took the afternoon to go explore a little bit and then worked more this evening. Anyway I did find an '06 Handy (132.7) for under $60 so that is good (would have rather had an 07 since I haven't found one for under $80 yet!), an '07 ER17 that I wouldn't have bothered with but it was under $40 so I decided what the heck. And then I found a place that had boxes of these old Baker's singles from batch B-85-501, I believe this was the first or very close to it -- it is some damn tasty stuff that is for sure. Oh and I grabbed an Old Charter 12 year since I have heard the Classic 90 is pretty good and like most other OCs it isn't available in Cali...

Would have rather drove to Kentucky!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

Christian,

Don't buy any Handy on the way here! I have two extra bottles ('07)that I don't want (miscounted when I was buying) and I paid $61 each. Sound Good?

Dawn

Guru

A Pappy 15. Reading this thread earlier and seeing that it was in some markets on "extreme allocation" I was surprised. It is a hard to find bottle in this area. Just maybe Buffalo Trace is attempting to widen distribution?

One man's loss is another's gain perhaps?
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Guru

Just got my long awaited/sought after Pappy Van 23yr ... its better when you win it hahahaha

Now lets hope that the Bourbon is as good as the anticipation
    Emerald

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Everman75 View Post
    IIRC, the ten star is only six years old, despite the confusing labels. The ten year old, IMHO, is more mature and nuanced.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."