Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Winter'07/'08

Today I made a vatting of Weller 107 which is as good as a purchase for me, better in some ways. It simply combines an un-chill-filtered single barrel version selected by the Kentucky Bourbon Society (bottled Sept. '07) with a single barrel selected by Cork & Bottle in Kentucky (bottled a couple of months or so earlier, it was barrel 11). Both were just over 9 years old. The mingling ratio was 2:1 respectively. It is remarkable how good this is, it presents the best features of both and contrives to make two well-flavored, strong drinks a smooth number that drinks neat to perfection despite the formidable proof.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 01-03-2008 at 18:15.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Today I made a vatting of Weller 107 which is as good as a purchase for me, better in some ways. It simply combines an un-chill-filtered single barrel version selected by the Kentucky Bourbon Society (bottled Sept. '07) with a single barrel selected by Cork & Bottle in Kentucky (bottled a couple of months or so earlier, it was barrel 11). Both were just over 9 years old. The mingling ratio was 2:1 respectively. It is remarkable how good this is, it presents the best features of both and contrives to make two well-flavored, strong drinks a smooth number that drinks neat to perfection despite the formidable proof.

Gary

Way to go making me jealous, Gary.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by gblick View Post
    Can you give any more details..
    Was it Prime (if so, was it 80 or 86 proof?), or was it Bottled-in-Bond (if so, what DSP numbers did it have?)? And what date numbers are imprinted into the bottom of the bottle?
    Just curious, thanks.

I really like some of the older bottlings (even of the lower proof 'Prime'). But I will admit that while I do enjoy the taste, some of it can be very simple tasting and not complex at all, but (to my taste) that is not a bad thing.
    Sorry it took me so long to get back...

It is Prime and 80 proof. There is a small ink stamp on the bottom of the bottle that reads 42 24 0x9 0 0309; the x is a number I cannot read. The imprint in the bottle itself reads 00 60 42 BM

None of these appear to be a date...?

Oh yeah -- also picked up a AAA 10 star, a Pikesville rye, and a Dickel #12 today.
    Last edited by felthove; 01-03-2008 at 19:01.

Virtuoso

Paid for 4 bottles of the East Bay 4yr. Willett's Rye today. I hope to have them buy next week! A friend in San Fran grabbed them and will ship by Monday! Can hardly wait!!

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by felthove View Post
    Sorry it took me so long to get back...

It is Prime and 80 proof. There is a small ink stamp on the bottom of the bottle that reads 42 24 0x9 0 0309; the x is a number I cannot read. The imprint in the bottle itself reads 00 60 42 BM

None of these appear to be a date...?
    Thanks for the reply.
    Going by the imprints in the glass, I believe the one imprint that (reasonably) appears to be the last two numbers of a year will be the date (in this case I would guess that it's the 00, which would put it at 2000..a good year from what I've experienced).

To put my self on topic, last night I finally decided to pick up a pewter-topped WTKS (bottled 9-9-96) that I found awhile back, good price too!

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

I found an older bottling of Sam Houston, batch #9.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Mark, you can do the same with Weller 107 bought on the shelf anywhere in America.

The work is really in the proportions of the two (or three, perhaps) combined.

Gary

Apprentice

Parker's Heritage Cask Strength - 122.6 proof. $80 is steep, but I had to have it!
    Dave K.

"Time Flies whether you're having fun or not."
    Or, as Kermit the Frog would say after a pour or two: "Time is fun when you are having flies!"

Virtuoso

I would have to agree Dave great find as that is the first release which I understand is the better of the 3.
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Guru

I've been very good over the last 3 months and have not bought any bourbon....first because my stock is full and second because I'm in a career transition so money is tight. I dropped in to a local ABC yesterday and they had one lonely bottle of '07 Saz sitting in the back room. It now sits on my shelf at home. VA received a total of 60 bottles...that was it, so I consider myself fortunate.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog