Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: 2 questions....

Hybrid View

Apprentice

2 questions....

First, I was travelling through Kentucky and had a spare moment to pick up a couple of bottles, one of which was Rittenhouse Rye, which I've heard a lot about. The label states distilled by "DSP KY 354" What does that signify?

Also, because I live in Minnesota, I've only seen Heaven Hill bottled in bond with a gold and black label. While in Kentucky, I saw a white label; green label and a black label, and it seemed, a couple of other label variations. What are the differences?

Re: 2 questions....

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bill View Post
    First, I was travelling through Kentucky and had a spare moment to pick up a couple of bottles, one of which was Rittenhouse Rye, which I've heard a lot about. The label states distilled by "DSP KY 354" What does that signify?..
    DSP stands for "distilled spirits plant", and a requirement of Bottled in Bond (BIB) designation is that the producing plant be named on the bottle. DSP-KY-354 is the Early Times Distillery, which produces Brown-Forman's bourbons, as well as Early Times whiskey.
    After Heaven Hill -- which owns and distributes Rittenhouse -- lost its distillery (DSP-KY-31) in Bardstown to fire in November 1996, it 'borrowed' distillery facilities to continue production. B-F loaned HH the use of Early Times for its ryes: thus the current Rittenhouse was produced there. In fact, HH has continued producing its ryes at ET via arrangement with Brown-Forman, because its Bernheim Distillery in Louisville operates at capacity making Heaven Hill's bourbons.

...Also, because I live in Minnesota, I've only seen Heaven Hill bottled in bond with a gold and black label. While in Kentucky, I saw a white label; green label and a black label, and it seemed, a couple of other label variations. What are the differences?
    Mostly age. In some cases, vintage, since the green-and-black label distributed here states "6 Years Old", while it contains no age statement elsewhere. The white-label is NAS (and, thus, almost certainly 4 years old); the gold-and-black sounds like the very appeciated Very Rare Old Heaven Hill 10-year-old.
    Most markets will only offer one or two of them. But, the same whiskey goes into some other HH BIB products, namely Evan Williams BIB, G.T.S. Brown, Henry McKenna 10yo, Old Fitzgerald (wheated, not rye), T.W. Samuels, et al.
    Tim