Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Guru

Lightbulb Re: Henry McKenna "Finest Table Whiskey..."

I used to purchase this regularly, back in the day (early 70's). If I recall correctly, I think it was 90-proof back then. In those days, it seemed to me to be a great value - pretty good whiskey at a reasonable price. I moved away from it, literally, moving to a state where it was no longer available to me. So, I haven't had any in at least 30 years.

Now it is Heaven Hill whiskey and I feel like it should be a cut above their standard bottlings, but I don't know that for a fact. I would use it as an everyday pour and for mixing duty. My best advice is, try it and see.

Tim

PS - Maybe, after reading all of the above, it is not produced by Heaven Hill, only marketed by them. I really don't know.
    Last edited by ratcheer; 01-04-2008 at 14:20.
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Advanced Taster

Re: Henry McKenna "Finest Table Whiskey..."

Well it turns out mine is a Bardstown bottle. I had a small glass neat tonight and my initial impression was a strong woody character and considerable viscosity. Not "spirity" by any means but there wasn't much complexity. As my glass sat and I took a few more sips it (or I) seemed to come into greater balance/focus and more spice became evident on the finish. Still, I'd say its strongest characteristic is a walnut flavor upfront with some richness and just a hint of spice. Not a cerebral pour by any means but nothing at all offensive or off in the flavor profile. Not sure exactly how this bourbon is best consumed but I'll give it a few more tastes in the months to come.

Virtuoso

I have to say I just poured mine and you're right. This bottle reminds me of the first time I tried I.W. Harper 15yr. 80. I thought it was very light and subtle! I can get the Walnut you talk of but it wants to turn sweet but dwindles into tannins. I get a little charr up front. I can say it will not be a daily pour but sure I'll let it breath for a bit and see what it turns into!
    To Subtle for me! the finish is very uneventful!

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

The picture of Tony's bottle states Lawrenceburg and his description sounds close to what I remember. The bottles of the mid-80's, especially those sold by a Seagram facility in Canada, would (at least on average I believe) have been made at its facility in Lawrenceburg, KY. The statement about wanting to turn sweet but staying in a woddy direction resonates in particular as well the impressions of lightness, walnuts and not much finish.

Gary

Novice

The label looks very similar to the bottle that I picked earlier tonight. Mine has Bardstown on the label and the bottle is straight where his has curves. It was less than $10.00 and second shelf.

Not a bad daily pour for medicinal purposes.

John