Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

Cheers from London

Hello there, I'm an American working in London, a bourbon fan but still very much a novice. The price of bourbon here (and indeed the price of any object or service) is somewhat incredible. A 700 mL bottle of Jim Beam White will set you back about 17 pounds (i.e. $34). And it's not even a fifth! Or you can get some even viler Sainsburys stuff for about 10 pounds.

Most pubs will give you JD if you ask for a bourbon, though a few have the real thing -- I recently discovered the Old Queen's Head in Islington has Makers Mark, Knob Creek, Bulleit, Wild Turkey, and Woodford Reserve, a few others I've not tried yet. And they make a pretty good old-fashioned with them too.

Anyway, if there are any other bourbon-lovers in the UK, love to hear where you get your bourbon, preferably somewhere with a good selection and cheap!

Enthusiast

Re: Cheers from London

Lydgate:

Welcome!

I have the good selection part covered for you:

Milroy's of Soho
    3 Greek St.
    London W1D4N

The shop has a selection comparable to most in Michigan. You still pay for the courtesy of transporting that sweet bourbon from Kentucky. Legend has it that U-Boats still intercept bourbon shipments.

London is a great city. Enjoy it, even if it breaks the bank.

Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut

Guru

Welcome sir... I will toast to your participation with a little EC12 (I have to make it a double - two new members tonight)

Virtuoso

Lydgate, welcome! I hope you enjoy your stay. I find the group here very helpful and the information unlimited!

As for Beam at $34 bucks for less than a fifth! We may have to send you a care package from the states !

Keep us posted on any new finds and favorites!

Cheers!
    Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"