Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Thanks to the Thirsty Traveler, you have a new member, and bourbon drinker

The Thirsty Traveler brought me here some time ago. Now I've got, what, 250 posts? Bourbon is fun!

Yeah, I don't think my wife really knows what we have. Let's see, I have Bookers, Old Grand Dad 114, Pappy Van Winkle 20, Pappy Van Winkle 23, and a bottle of Maker's Mark open currently. I know I have a bottle of Eagle Rare bunkered, but not much else. I have a small supply compared to some of the guys around here, but a nice wine collection :-)

My wife doesn't like me drinking bourbon. I don't know why, but she doesn't. No problem going through a full bottle of wine in one night (for two of us). Not sure about that dichotomy, but my wife isn't going anywhere (if I can help it, she's awesome) so I guess I just have to live with the discomfort...

Joel
    "Oh Bother!" said Pooh as he slapped another magazine in his AK-47...

http://vinesnwines.blogspot.com

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Teach her the alcohol equivalents. Twelve ounces of beer, five ounces of wine or 1.25 oz. of 80 proof whiskey (or any other distilled spirit) each contain about the same amount of alcohol: one-half ounce. We'll call that (1/2 oz. of absolute alcohol) a drink unit.

This the most important piece of information anyone who drinks alcoholic beverages should have. If you had to get a license to drink, this would be on the test.

For the wine example, half a bottle of wine equals 2.35 drink units.

Two ounces of 100 proof whiskey (see attached visual aid showing exactly two ounces of 100 proof bourbon in an 8-ounce glass) is two drink units.

All that said, I was married once. I know you won't win.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Guru

I have been married twice. Even if you win you still lose!
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Apprentice

Welcome to the forum. I was already into bourbon when I saw "The Thirsty Traveler." It's a good show.
    As far as the wife problem goes...go slowly. Don't go out and buy ten bottles at once. Buy one or two at a time. Sip it slowly and savor it. Pretty soon, over time, you'll have a nice collection going. The only thing you need to figure out is where to hide it!
    -James

"May you die well!" - Klingon toast

Novice

Thanks for the welcome guys. The wife hasn't been too bad. I've found that as long as there is an open bottle of Maker's in the house, along with some Coke, she doesn't really care what I have in the house.