Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Taster

Homemade Bourbon

Has anyone attempted to make their own bourbon?
    A friend of mine makes his own beer & that got me thinking???...

Enthusiast

Re: Homemade Bourbon

Aside from risking having the BATF kick your door down or you accidentally blowing up your house, making bourbon strikes me as being 100 times more difficult and 100 times less rewarding than letting those experts in Kentucky do their thing.
    You could always contact a local distillery and see if they'd be willing to whip up a batch of spirit to throw in a barrel.
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. François View Post
    You could always contact a local distillery and see if they'd be willing to whip up a batch of spirit to throw in a barrel.
    Buffalo Trace is starting a "custom distillation program for consumers and connoisseurs of fine spirits" that may do just that.

Talking Re: Homemade Bourbon

http://www.coppermoonshinestills.com/
    http://www.happymountain.net/moonshine%20still.html

I have had the idea for years but the problem would be aging the alcohol that would be created. Unless you want vodka or grappa you would have to wait years to see your product come to true bourbon status.

Connoisseur

If you can get your hands on it, get the DVD or VHS tape by Popcorn Sutton. It is called "Last Dam Run of Likker" or something like that. Popcorn Sutton is a famous (infamous) modern day moonshiner located in North Carolina, near Maggie Valley. He is quite a character. The movie, which has the feel of being homemade, starts from finding a spot for a still to running off a batch of Appalachia's finest. Popcorn is hilarious in the flick. I believe he was busted again just recently, so I guess there will have to be a sequel to the movie.
    Mike
    "Some people were born on third base and think they hit a triple"

Taster

[quote=Dr. François;107320]Aside from risking having the BATF kick your door down or you accidentally blowing up your house,

I'm not positive, but I don't think there are any laws against making corn whiskey or any other spirt for that matter, I believe it's the selling of it that will get you in trouble? As for the place, I was thinking about a garage or barn, I would love to see the look on my wifes face if she walked in her kitchen & I had a still set up !

Enthusiast

[quote=catdaddy;107335]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. François View Post
    Aside from risking having the BATF kick your door down or you accidentally blowing up your house,

I'm not positive, but I don't think there are any laws against making corn whiskey or any other spirt for that matter, I believe it's the selling of it that will get you in trouble? As for the place, I was thinking about a garage or barn, I would love to see the look on my wifes face if she walked in her kitchen & I had a still set up !
    You should be positive as it is absolutely illegal to make corn whiskey or any other spirt.
    Joel

Connoisseur

Catdaddy-
    I believe you had better listen to the Squire. I have represented a few "producers". The Feds and even local authorities frown greatly on the unregulated production of distilled spirits.
    Mike
    "Some people were born on third base and think they hit a triple"

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by shyster512 View Post
    Catdaddy-
    I believe you had better listen to the Squire. I have represented a few "producers". The Feds and even local authorities frown greatly on the unregulated production of distilled spirits.
    They have loosed up a little on ethanol production but you still have to get a permit and you are limited. Talk to Jeremy about it. He looked into it.

You cant just buy a still off the net and set it up in the garage. Well I guess you can but most people don't look good in the double nickel bracelets.
    Joel

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

The ATF FAQ even go so far as to say that even for the use in a Science Experiment is illegal.

Without permits it is illegal. Permits require proper zoning of premises, can't be attached to a dwelling and several other restrictions.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile