Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Homemade Bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by shyster512 View Post
    I have represented a few "producers". The Feds and even local authorities frown greatly on the unregulated production of distilled spirits.
    What's the average result, are you able to get them off? If not, what's the average sentence and or fine? Also, in those you've encountered, how much spirit is the average bootlegger holding when they get busted? Just wondering.
    Last edited by gothbat; 01-04-2008 at 20:43.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Connoisseur

[quote=TnSquire;107336]
    Quote Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post

You should be positive as it is absolutely illegal to make corn whiskey or any other spirt.

So you tellin' me all dat distilin' I ben doin' in tha back wood aint legal?

Enthusiast

[quote=NickAtMartinis;107341]
    Quote Originally Posted by TnSquire View Post

So you tellin' me all dat distilin' I ben doin' in tha back wood aint legal?
    Just tell them it is for "Medicinal Purposes" it worked for Uncle Jesse.
    Joel

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

[quote=TnSquire;107345]
    Quote Originally Posted by NickAtMartinis View Post

Just tell them it is for "Medicinal Purposes" it worked for Uncle Jesse.
    No it didn't! He promised not to make anymore to keep Bo and Luke outta the slammer
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Guru

And look what it did to Daisy's jeans!
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

In Virginia recently, six people were indicted by a federal grand jury on charges of running a moonshine pipeline that authorities say reached as far north as Philadelphia.

They are accused of conspiracy to violate the travel act and produce and receive untaxed liquor, failure to give bond, possession of an unregistered still, unlawful production of distilled spirits, money laundering and perjury. There were a total of 31 counts.

Each count of money laundering carries a penalty of up to 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000. Each of the other counts carries a penalty of up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000.

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Each count of money laundering carries a penalty of up to 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000. Each of the other counts carries a penalty of up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000.
    Wouldn't you think that something that could lock you up for 4x as long would be worth 4x the fine? Damn me for applying logic to the law, but still...

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Advanced Taster

The mood in this post seems to be very gloomy. While it is indeed very illegal to be an amateur distiller in the US, the rest of the world is slowly coming around. For instance, it is legal in New Zealand and Italy. Will the US follow suit? The sad answer is probably no, but one can always hope.

I personally find it pretty hypocritical to allow home brewing and wine making, but not home distilling. Is it more complex? You bet. My guess is that isn't the reason the laws aren't changed though. The stigma attached to the moonshiners along with the taxes (albeit minuscule) the government would loose are probably far more powerful deterrents for getting the law changed.

Connoisseur

My bet is that the stongest deterrent for change in the law would be the alcohol producers themselves. It pretty well gives those in operation a monopoly. How many truly new producers have started business lately? Most are recylcled distillers.
    Mike
    "Some people were born on third base and think they hit a triple"

Quote Originally Posted by shyster512 View Post
    My bet is that the stongest deterrent for change in the law would be the alcohol producers themselves. It pretty well gives those in operation a monopoly. How many truly new producers have started business lately? Most are recylcled distillers.
    Actually quite a few, just not many whiskey producers. Many wineries have started making brandy and grappa and such. Huber's Winery, right across the river in Indiana has started the Starlight Distillery and hosted the 2007 American Distilling Institute Conference.

I'm no Pappyophile