Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Connoisseur

Re: Homemade Bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by gr8erdane View Post
    And look what it did to Daisy's jeans!
    It dun shrunk 'em is what it did.

Guru

More'n shrunk em, it et em.
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.

Taster

It's funny how one thing leads to another, but as anyone seen her... say in the last 5 years? WOW!

Apprentice

True there isn't much heard about new distillers, but there are a few. I just received my recent issue of TIME and in the Life section there is a good article about small volume distilleries. One of them is in the Hudson valley. They make a Rye whiskey and an apple vodka. Another one is in CA, and makes Square One Vodka. The last is in Philadelphia and makes gin. The rye whiskey is what really caught my eye.

Here are the links for your perusal. Apologies if this is old news for some.

http://tuthilltown.com Rye whiskey and Apple vodka
    http://squareonevodka.com
    http://bluecoatgin.com

EDIT:
    Hmmm....should have searched first. Here is the Hudson Rye Whiskey link from April 07.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ead.php?t=7049
    Last edited by whiskydude; 01-06-2008 at 09:06.
    Dave

You're not drunk if you can lay on the floor without holdin' on.-Joe E. Lewis

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I don't know what you mean by "Michael Collins American made whiskey." Michael Collins is a brand of Irish whiskey created by the same company that created Grey Goose Vodka. It is made for them at the Cooley Distillery in Dublin, which has been around for at least a decade with its own brands, Tyrconnell and Kilbeggan.

The others are craft distilleries, of which there are many. The problem with them is that, in most cases, they actually do less "crafting" than the familiar industrial-scale distillers do, making their value dubious. They may do something worthwhile in the future, but so far they are much ado about nothing.

Apprentice

Yep, lept before I looked on 2 counts with that post! I was confusing another whiskey with the Michael Collins. I don't recall the name, but I thought it was made in the Northwest, Oregon or Washington.
    Dave

Connoisseur

Were you thinking of McCarthy's Single Malt Whiskey made by Clear Creek Distillery in Oregon ?

Apprentice

I picked up a fun book about Moonshine and such, and it's author contends that the home distillation business is alive and growing. I don't think he was referring to the guy who churns out swill made with radiator fluid, but folks who are crafting their own libations in the manner of the home brewers. Yes, he contends it's all illegal, but he made a remark that the federal agents have better things to do with their time than chase down people who make small amounts for their own consumption.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bill View Post
    I picked up a fun book about Moonshine and such, and it's author contends that the home distillation business is alive and growing. I don't think he was referring to the guy who churns out swill made with radiator fluid, but folks who are crafting their own libations in the manner of the home brewers. Yes, he contends it's all illegal, but he made a remark that the federal agents have better things to do with their time than chase down people who make small amounts for their own consumption.
    Is it the Alaskan Moonshiners Guide or some such? It's a good book, haven't tried it out myself, but the processes sound, well, sound.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by TomH View Post
    Were you thinking of McCarthy's Single Malt Whiskey made by Clear Creek Distillery in Oregon ?
    Yes! That's the one. I haven't tasted it, but would like to. Thanks for the ID.
    Dave