Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Pappy Van Winkle 15

Quote Originally Posted by Vange View Post
    I can see how the 15 and 20 can be #1 and #2 respectively when it comes to the VW line, but I can never put the 10 year before the 15 or 20. It just doesnt seem right.
    I thought the same way, Vange. But, then I did a blind tasting and I found out differently. It's funny how your tastebuds react to bourbon when you don't know what you're drinking. Do the same and you will find some surprises as well.

Connoisseur

I'll post this here because it's current. I've been reading up on all the van Winkle bourbons here at SB.com including the BOTM threads and the Lot A thread in collectibles. Interesting about the origin of the bourbons.

It would be informative to give some info on the bottle about where the majority of the whiskey was distilled/aged, just like some wineries tell the vineyard where the grapes for some wines come from. It seems that we're in a transition period for Pappy 15. As many have stated here, if Julian bottles it, then it must be good, so giving distiller info shouldn't hurt sales.

As my avatar shows, I'm a big vWFR fan, but I only recently obtained my first Lot B. Since it looks like we should have constant 20 yr old Pappy for about 4 more years, I plan on going to Sam's and Binny's tomorrow on the way home (and I'm off Friday) to get 2 20's and probably another 15 and B to bunker.
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Vange View Post
    I can see how the 15 and 20 can be #1 and #2 respectively when it comes to the VW line, but I can never put the 10 year before the 15 or 20. It just doesnt seem right.
    Until you try a 10 y/o 107 proof Lawrenceburg.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Taster

"Since it looks like we should have constant 20 yr old Pappy for about 4 more years"

It may be available, but be aware of the sticker shock I ran into. PVW 20yo went from $80-$90 a bottle to $180+ just recently. So get what you can. I won't be getting any more at these prices. I have just 2 bunkered and I will make them last. Also scarfing up all the PVW 15yo I can find in case of such a change, either in price and/or profile.
    Fwisge For All!

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by gothbat View Post
    Originally I thought the 20 was the best, then the 15, and now I'm back to liking the 20 the best. The 15 is great but the 20 is way better, in my current opinion anyway. I wonder if/when I'll change my mind again...
    I agree 100%. The 15 yr old 107 is damn good, but the 20 is more refined, and a better bourbon in my opinion.

russellc

Connoisseur

Whats the different between

Van Winkle Family Reserve 15
    VWFR 15.jpg

and Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 15
    PVWFR 15.jpg

which both sell at about $80 in Japan when they can be found?

Guru

The numbered bottle is probably much older and is almost assuredly Stitzel-Weller Burbon. It might have been a Japan only bottle. The other, newer one is the one currently released in the states.
    Joe

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by BourbonJoe View Post
    The numbered bottle is probably much older and is almost assuredly Stitzel-Weller Burbon.
    Sorry, from a taste perspective, which would be better? Both are same price.

Guru

They both are probably very good, but I would spend my money on the older version.
    Joe

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    Sorry, from a taste perspective, which would be better? Both are same price.
    I would go with the older one, since the newer one is more available.
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?