Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Pappy Van Winkle 15

Thank you gentlemen.

There is a disclaimer on the site that is selling the bottle that is really bothering me:

"althought this bottle has never been opened, due to its age, we cannot guarantee the contents of this bottle"

Novice

Hey all....First time poster and this thread seems to be the most logical place to put it...

What is the difference between the 15 yr Lot A and Lot B? I'm sure its addressed somewhere on the site, but my searching abiliities are not quite up to snuff just yet.

Thanks for the assist.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Crasherino View Post
    ...What is the difference between the 15 yr Lot A and Lot B?...
    Do you perhaps mean the 12yo Lot A and Lot B? I've never seen a 15yo labelled as such.

The gist of the 12yo Lot A and Lot B is that there was a Lot A, but VW liked the Lot B name and label enough that they haven't proceeded on to further Lots. It's kinda like on the Grand Dad 114 label - I think it's been Batch #1 or somesuch for the entire Beam era.

Hope this helps.

Roger

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

In both cases, you're looking at what is more-or-less the same whiskey, but an earlier bottling of it. A small producer like Van Winkle is definitely bottling in batches and there may be a year or more between bottling runs. Some producers, like Van Winkle, will make either a minor or a major label change to distinguish between them. In the case of the 15-year-old, when the stocks of SW whiskey got scarce, the decision was made to make everything that held SW whiskey Pappy. The whiskey itself is probably similar, but the older bottling is more rare.

For a time, the Lot B was such a favorite here on Straight Bourbon that I believe that entered into Julian's decision to not introduce a Lot C, as simply "Lot B" had become the name everybody here knew.
    Last edited by cowdery; 08-22-2008 at 13:15.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Crasherino View Post
    Hey all....First time poster and this thread seems to be the most logical place to put it...

What is the difference between the 15 yr Lot A and Lot B? I'm sure its addressed somewhere on the site, but my searching abiliities are not quite up to snuff just yet.

Thanks for the assist.
    Welcome aboard!

Here is a collection of posts that include mention of Lot A.

Searching for an exact phrase requires a quotation mark, a space, the phrase, a space, and a quotation mark. Note that the search function will return a maximum of 3,000 hits.

BTW if you'd care to introduce yourself there's a forum with the name "New to StraightBourbon.com", or similar.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    .............. when the stocks of SW whiskey got scarce, the decision was made to make everything that held SW whiskey Pappy. The whiskey itself is probably similar, but the older bottling is more rare.

But, as the SW runs out, they're still gonna call it Pappy, right? I know it's gonna be different and since Julian makes it, it's gonna be good.

Are the van Winkle bourbons not SW then?
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    Whats the different between

Van Winkle Family Reserve 15
    Attachment 6669

and Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 15
    Attachment 6668

which both sell at about $80 in Japan when they can be found?
    The pic is a little small to really be sure, but it doesn't look to me like it says 107 proof in the earlier bottle label...
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoys View Post
    But, as the SW runs out, they're still gonna call it Pappy, right? I know it's gonna be different and since Julian makes it, it's gonna be good.

Are the van Winkle bourbons not SW then?
    Van Winkle is transitioning to what they like to call "Stitzel Weller Recipe Bourbon" at this point only the 20 and 23 are left as original S-W.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    The pic is a little small to really be sure, but it doesn't look to me like it says 107 proof in the earlier bottle label...
    Tim,
    I beleive it is 107 proof, it is just the early lable that Julian used for Japan.

It is early SW... so it is a must buy... I'll take three

Quote Originally Posted by spun_cookie View Post
    Tim,
    I beleive it is 107 proof, it is just the early lable that Julian used for Japan.
    I am pretty sure that says 90 proof...
    Last edited by Virus_Of_Life; 08-23-2008 at 22:11.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"