Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

J.T.S. Brown BIB question

Picked up a bottle yesterday and on the back it says "distilled by Stonegate Distillery, DSP KY 31." Doesn't mention its age.

I know this is bargain stuff, but since it's from DSP KY 31 does it mean it's anything special? I hear people on this board talking about that stuff being superior to new HH bottlings. It was only around $15. Thanks,

Ron

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: J.T.S. Brown BIB question

I happen to like JTS Brown BIB quite a bit, but I'm skeptical about the stuff in stores now really being DSP KY 31. I'm skeptical because DSP KY 31 produced its last more than 10 years ago and JTS Brown is likely not much older than 4 years. Either the DSP KY 31 JTS Brown in stores now is mis-labeled or old case stock. Both are possible.

I consider JTS Brown a good, inexpensive Heaven Hill bourbon, but I wouldn't buy it on the basis of hoarding some DSP KY 31. I also would not say DSP KY 31 whiskey is necessarily superior to whiskey from Heaven Hill's more recent sources. It's all good.

Guru

I wouldn't be concerned about its origins, its a Heaven Hill product and a good one, its virtues being outstanding quality for the price. The same stuff is sold locally as JW Dant BIB and I've favored it for years for the reasons mentioned above. Traditional products versatile in their use, I believe anyone who likes a rye recipe bourbon would like either of these.

Squire

Virtuoso

I've got a bottle of JTS Brown BIB that was distilled at what is now Buffalo Trace and was bottled at S-W. Who owned it then? Is it pretty much the same?

Quote Originally Posted by craigthom View Post
    I've got a bottle of JTS Brown BIB that was distilled at what is now Buffalo Trace and was bottled at S-W. Who owned it then? Is it pretty much the same?
    So the label says it was distilled at DSP-KY-9 and bottled at DSP-KY-16?

That's a puzzler.

Off the top of my head, I would say the brand went from being produced by Brown's grandson at what is now Four Roses, to being produced there and at other Seagram's facilities by Seagram's, to being owned and produced by Heaven Hill, which has had it for at least 20 years.

There was a brief period, about 20 years ago, when Stitzel-Weller and Buffalo Trace had the same owner, but that's still doesn't put JTS Brown into its stable.

As for how similar it would be, JTS Brown has pretty much always been a commodity brand, which means the most any of its makers has tried to do is make it an acceptable standard rye-based bourbon.

Advanced Taster

Whatever the story, I've been using it as a house pour all week to make Manhattans and mix with ginger beer or 7-up. Nice stuff for the price.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    So the label says it was distilled at DSP-KY-9 and bottled at DSP-KY-16?
    Chuck,
    My database of Cecil's book gives RD 2 and 113 to what is now Buffalo Trace. Sometimes he didn't list every RD used for each site, so should I add RD 9 to my notes for that distillery as well?

Cecil lists the Kessler plant in Lair, Harrison County as RD 9 post-prohibition (but also the John Wathen plant in Lebanon, Marion County).

Roger

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    The same stuff is sold locally as JW Dant BIB and I've favored it for years for the reasons mentioned above. Traditional products versatile in their use, I believe anyone who likes a rye recipe bourbon would like either of these.
    Squire
    JTS Brown and JW Dante BIB are the same Bourbon?
    Todd

Virtuoso

Mine is Dant, not JTS Brown. My mistake. It was distilled at DSP-KY 113 and bottled at DSP-KY 16.

I wish all bourbons were required to list their distilleries. It would make life so much simpler for us.

Forget that 9 for BT. It's from the current TTB permit list, which must be for some other purpose. I'm not sure what DSP BT currently uses, but I'm sure someone here will know.

Dant is, of course, a whole different story. Schenley, which owned BT, bought J. W. Dant (RD #47) in 1953. Cecil should know, because he was working there at the time. He says the label was sold to Heaven Hill "recently," but I'm going to say it was no more recent than 20 years ago.