Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: How many ounces per day?

For me it varies - typically 1.5 - 3 oz. (my standard pour is about 1.5), but sometimes more. I tend to drink fairly slowly - and, the higher the proof, the slower I drink. On a beer night, I skip the whisky.

I'm at most risk of overindulging with cocktails - especially on a hot summer evening.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Connoisseur

I typically consume 2-3 ounces per night on average. For what it's worth, my doctor told me that at my age (27), I should not be having more than 5 drinks per week, a drink being an ounce and a half at 80 proof. So much for that...

I try to keep it under 16 drinks a week. One drink being one oz. spirit or one beer or one 5oz. wine. But some times I go more or less. Your body should tell you if your over doing it. Your brain mostly. If you wake up feelin like crap, you know should cut back.
    Jamie

Guru

between 2-4 ounces... regaurdless of the proof.....

Enthusiast

More than I would have thought had I not really thought about it. Typical night usually goes as follows.

1 Beer after work, usually Sam Adams, Celebration Ale or PBR around 4:30
    1 glass of wine, usually red, with dinner around 6:00
    Around 2 ounces of whiskey (scotch, bourbon, canadian, irish whatever) while settling down for the evening around 8:00.

This doesn't really change on the weekends except for maybe a couple more beers during the day.

So Monday thru Friday is around 4-5 ounces of alcohol per night.
    Saturday and Sunday is around 7-8 ounces.

Probably 80 percent of my alcohol intake is accompanied by some kind of food.

Chris

.5 to 1 oz 3-4 days a week. Usually right before bed.

Like this thread. Its proof that many of you take the negative pitfalls of consumption seriously. Or at least I hope you do.

Novice

Talking Re: How many ounces per day?

I have found that when you have had enough the quit. I drink 6-8 oz a night and I am not intoxicated when I go to bed, feel bad in the morning or have health problems from it. I always chase my whiskey with water at least 5 oz or so to the oz of whiskey, I also eat a lot of protein and take b vitamins and most importantly keep the bowels flowing.

Enthusiast

I am down under a shot now so i figure one ounce. Thats about all I want. I can't pay attention as well if I have more.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by melting View Post
    More than I would have thought had I not really thought about it. Typical night usually goes as follows.

1 Beer after work, usually Sam Adams, Celebration Ale or PBR around 4:30
    1 glass of wine, usually red, with dinner around 6:00
    Around 2 ounces of whiskey (scotch, bourbon, canadian, irish whatever) while settling down for the evening around 8:00.

This doesn't really change on the weekends except for maybe a couple more beers during the day.

So Monday thru Friday is around 4-5 ounces of alcohol per night.
    Saturday and Sunday is around 7-8 ounces.

Probably 80 percent of my alcohol intake is accompanied by some kind of food.

Chris
    one beer (12 oz.) = 1/2 oz. of absolute alcohol
    one glass of wine (5 oz.) = 1/2 oz. of absolute alcohol
    Two ounces of whiskey (let's say 100 proof) = 1 oz. of absolute alcohol.

So your weekday consumption, as you described it, is 2 ounces of alcohol (i.e., absolute alcohol), not 4-5.

I'm posting this for everybody, not just for Chris, because people are throwing ounces around without converting to absolute alcohol. If the question is "how much am I really drinking?" especially if that drinking is mixed among different types of beverages with very different alcohol concentrations, the only way to do it is in terms of absolute alcohol, which means the alcohol portion of any particular water-and-alcohol solution.
    Last edited by cowdery; 01-25-2008 at 12:21.

Enthusiast

Thanks for the clarification. I was looking at the numbers and thinking that it was higher than what I would have expected. I hope that's a common mistake for everyone else also and that my math skill are not rapidly diminishing.

Chris