Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Canadian Club 12 year old or Canadian Club Sherry Cask?

hi there, to those who have tried both, which of these two are smoother and taste better, Canadian Club 12 year old or Canadian Club Sherry Cask?

Re: Canadian Club 12 year old or Canadian Club Sherry Cask?

I haven't had the Sherry cask, but I am a huge fan of the 12yo - not to mention the 20yo, if you can find it!

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Enthusiast

Have only had the CC12 but I really was impressed - especially at it's price point...

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

I have had both bottlings, though it's been a while for both, I used to drink them fairly regularly.

I like both bottlings, with the Sherry being fuller of body and sweeter on the palate and the 12yo showing more wooded notes. The Sherry may be a bit too much on the sherried side to be balanced, but is still nice, with the 12yo being a good example of a classic Canadian whiskey.

Considering the price points of these bottles, I wouldn't hesitate to consider buying both to see which one I liked.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur

Consider also that, at least where I live, Sherry Cask is twice the price of the 12Yr. I think Canadian Club Classic is highly underrated among Canadian whiskies. But I've never tried the Sherry Cask, so I can't make a comparison...

Apprentice

I haven't seen the Sherry Cask version in my local liquor store but I have had the Classic 12 year-old and enjoyed it very much. A very nice every day pour.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I agree all 'round, both are excellent value for the dollars. The Sherry Cask seems only intermittently available in its home market but every time I think it is permanently out of stock, it re-appears at LCBO. I am not sure if it was ever bottled more than once since the last group were exported to the U.S. and then brought back for sale here (according to the bottle markings), it may all be from the first bottling some years ago. However, this last group tasted a little fuller and less sweet than that first group, so maybe there was more than one bottling.

For those who like that taste, I recommend if you can find it the current Three Grain from Forty Creek, Grimsby, Ontario, the microdistiller which also makes Barrel Select, Pure Canadian Gold and other Canadian whiskies. Three Grain shows quite an evident sherry character, some of its components are aged in sherry made by the associated winery Kittling Ridge. A fine product, good (as is the CC Sherry Cask) after dinner with coffee.

Gary

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    I have had both bottlings, though it's been a while for both, I used to drink them fairly regularly.

I like both bottlings, with the Sherry being fuller of body and sweeter on the palate and the 12yo showing more wooded notes. The Sherry may be a bit too much on the sherried side to be balanced, but is still nice, with the 12yo being a good example of a classic Canadian whiskey.

Considering the price points of these bottles, I wouldn't hesitate to consider buying both to see which one I liked.
    I agree with Timothy and most of the others here. The Sherry finish is a little more of a shock to the wallet, though it delivers fully on it's claim to a sherry flavor. The 12 yr is as full a bodied Can. Whisky as I have had yet. It even has more body and character than the 15 yr, that shows up here every Christmas.

Jeff Mo.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    I agree all 'round, both are excellent value for the dollars. The Sherry Cask seems only intermittently available in its home market but every time I think it is permanently out of stock, it re-appears at LCBO. I am not sure if it was ever bottled more than once since the last group were exported to the U.S. and then brought back for sale here (according to the bottle markings), it may all be from the first bottling some years ago. However, this last group tasted a little fuller and less sweet than that first group, so maybe there was more than one bottling.

For those who like that taste, I recommend if you can find it the current Three Grain from Forty Creek, Grimsby, Ontario, the microdistiller which also makes Barrel Select, Pure Canadian Gold and other Canadian whiskies. Three Grain shows quite an evident sherry character, some of its components are aged in sherry made by the associated winery Kittling Ridge. A fine product, good (as is the CC Sherry Cask) after dinner with coffee.

Gary
    I wonder how much of a difference would be noticed between the two, considering the CC is finished in Spanish sherry casks while the Forty Creek uses Ontario sherry casks. I always wondered why the CC Sherry Cask is so pricey, but I guess that would be the reason...

Interestingly, Jim Murray gave Canadian Club Reserve (10 years) a very high rating, while the other bottlings received merely average scores. I haven't tried the Reserve so I can't say how much different/better it is than the Classic...

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

The Reserve is supposed to contain a higher percentage of low-proof rye spirit than the others. It is good, but I can't detect much difference myself from the standard CC profile.

Ontario-produced sherry probably has a characteristic taste, it comes off very well in the Forty Creek products.

I would think Hiram Walker used Spanish sherry casks for CC Sherry Cask which may explain the heightened price.

It is interesting to compare CC Sherry Cask and Three Grain; I find the latter has a more assertive taste, which I prefer.

Gary