Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Connoisseur

Let's talk Scotch

I'm in the market for a good bottle, and two of my main considerations are:

The Balvenie 15 Year Single Barrel
    The Macallan Cask Strength

They are about the same price. The Macallan is stronger but The Balvenie is older. Has anyone tried them both? If so, which did you prefer?

Of course, I'm not limited to these two. Also considering the likes of Highland Park 18, The Macallan Fine Oak 15, not sure what else to look at...

Connoisseur

Re: Let's talk Scotch

I have only tried a few Scotches, so I am no expert. I can't recall who on SB recommended Aberlour A'bunadh to me...but it has been a big hit. Everyone I have introduced it to has gone out and picked up a bottle. Beautiful deep color, wonderful spicy nose, the taste is full of black cherry and dried fruit, the finish is strong and full of sherry.
    Here in WA it sells $60, and it's a bottle I always make a point of having. I have tried the Balvenie 12 and a few of the Macallan's, I would personally take the A'bunadh over the ones I have tried. If someone has had the specific bottles your interested in and they recommend them over the A'bunadh, then I will have to give it a try...
    Todd

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

I like the Highland Park 18 (heck I just like HP) also The Glenlivet Naddura and Springbank(any, you can't go wrong)
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Enthusiast

I'd also recommend the Highland Park. I've only had the 12 and the 15. Never had the 18. The Highland 12 runs about 30 bucks here. The Glenlivet Nadura is also really good although it's a little more costly at around $50 here.

You may also want to look into the different Glenmorangie finishes. They have 4 different finishes as far as I'm aware of. Portwood, sherry, madiera and burgundy. They run about 45 dollars but are well worth it in my opinion although I haven't tried the burgundy.

There are so many different taste profiles it's almost impossible to pick just one to suggest. If you really want to experience a change of pace pick up a bottle of Ardbeg.

I've tried more scotches than I can remember and have enjoyed most. The only one that I really did not care for was Dalmore 12. Maybe the worst $30 I've ever spent on a bottle of whiskey.

Chris

Connoisseur

Since most of your considerations are Speyside, I'll start with that area. While I'm a big Macallan fan, I'm not big on their CS. For flavor, I would go with the Macallan 12 for less bucks any day of the week. The Fine Oak 15 is nice, but I miss the sherry. If high alcohol is desired along with a Sherry monster, I would definitely recommend the Aberlour A'bunadh. My personal favorite Speyside is Glenfarclas with the 12 YO probably in the price range (though if you could swing the 17 YO I would recommend spending the money).

Highland Park is a nice way to step into the peatier scotches. You won't get the full force of a typical Islay and the sherry is nice for those of us who like the sherried Speysides.

If you don't mind straying from the single malts, I really like the Jon, Mark and Robbo vatted whisky's for very nice flavor for the money. Don't have the descriptions handy buy at least one of them has some Irish in addtion to the scotch. Also can't go wrong with Compass Box vatted products IMHO.

Tom

Connoisseur

Too many recommendations on the A'bunadh for me not to get it. I just wish you'd all shut up about the prices, because in Canada we pay extremely high taxes on our booze, and now I feel like I'm getting ripped off . Anyway, thanks for all of your opinions, as I think it finally made up my mind...

Virtuoso

Of the two you listed, I'd recommend the Balvenie 15. It's a single barrel, 100 proof whiskey and the two bottles I've had were perfection.
    Cheers!

Guru

Thumbs up Re: Let's talk Scotch

I have a bottle of The Balvenie 15-year old and I love it.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Connoisseur

Thanks for the input! I really want the A'bunadh but it looks like it is sold out in my area, as it was a limited buy at the LCBO, so I may go for the Balvenie after all...

Virtuoso

Not sure if you can get it in Canada but if you can get a bottle of Oban 14 you can not go wrong! Should be in the same price range as your other selections!

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"