Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Let's talk Scotch

Hi Megawatt:

The LCBO stores will sometimes do an "interstore transfer" for you, shipping a bottle of something from somewhere else to a store near where you live. You may wish to ask your local store if they would do this for your Abelour CS that you want. The LCBO has delisted this bottling so you may wish to get more than one bottle to bunker. Other Scotches you may wish to do the same with that are currently on sale...

Balvenie Portwood 1991 @ $75
    Clan Denny Speyside @ $70
    Glenmorangie 15 (new wood finish)

The only other scotch I can recommend that has a time-limited window of opportunity would be the Glenmorangie Portwood. NO ONEW I know who has tried this has been dissapointed!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    Great post. I feel like I need to try an Islay to broaden my horizons, but I'm afraid that I will hate it at first. What would you recommend?
    If you want to try something coastal, I'd recommend a Bowmore to start with, or a Highland Park. Both are smoky but with other flavours balancing them out. Like dipping your toe in the water to sus out temperature so to speak.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Hi Megawatt:

The LCBO stores will sometimes do an "interstore transfer" for you, shipping a bottle of something from somewhere else to a store near where you live. You may wish to ask your local store if they would do this for your Abelour CS that you want. The LCBO has delisted this bottling so you may wish to get more than one bottle to bunker. Other Scotches you may wish to do the same with that are currently on sale...

Balvenie Portwood 1991 @ $75
    Clan Denny Speyside @ $70
    Glenmorangie 15 (new wood finish)

The only other scotch I can recommend that has a time-limited window of opportunity would be the Glenmorangie Portwood. NO ONEW I know who has tried this has been dissapointed!
    Yeah, I just found out that they can do transfers and requested a bottle of a'bunadh for my local store. Now I just have to cross my fingers and wait. Thanks for the other recommendations...

Wow, what a can of worms. But so true.. There are big differences from one region to another.
    Highland Park 12 year is a great starter bottle, Should be reasonably priced even in Canada. I almost feel it is one of the more sweeter scotches short of some of the specialty casked and barreled.
    Balvinie Double wood is another You should try.
    A nice surprise was The Dalwhinnie 15 ( a bit more smokey)
    And the Macallan, I would stick at first to the 12 yr before you try other expressions in it's line, always nice to see what they started with.
    But Then, It will ultimatly be decided by your pallate.
    Best of luck.

Taster

Some people take to peat right away, some need time. I have found some newcomers to malt love Ardbeg, Lagavulin and Laphroaig right of the bat, some need time. Caol Ila 12 is a good place to start- medium peat with some nice sweetness for balance...

As far as the Macallan 12- opinions differ greatly. I just hate the current 12- I think the quality of Macallan's sherry casks are poor, at present. One can taste a massive differnece between the current 12 and other bottlelings- I would avoid, or try at a bar first. I think it is about the worst thing out there- but your YMMV. I actaully enjoy the new fine Oak 15- it shows what a very good, rich malt macallan stills produce. The Elegancia, in duty free, is a middle ground. Again, Abelour Abundah, Farclas, and Balvenia Double wood are all far better..

Someone above suggetsed the Bowmore 12- I really like that malt. Another love it or hate it, Bowmore in general. If at first you don't like it, let it opn up some.

Connoisseur

Thanks again for the suggestions. I have a bottle of Highland Park 12, and while I think it has nice flavour and a fantastic nose, there is a slight medicinal note in the finish that throws me off a bit sometimes. Yet I still find myself wanting more...

I tried The Macallan 12 once at a bar and thought it was quite nice, very reminiscent of The Balvenie Doublewood, but I was comparing by memory, which is hardly reliable. I really like that Doublewood. I'm working on my first Macallan now, the Fine Oak 10. It's quite nice, though a little syrupy-sweet. Reminds me a bit of bourbon, to be honest.

I started this thread because I have some money from Christmas and wanted to try a slightly higher-end bottle, preferably a cask-strength to get the most bang for my buck. I'm hoping that my local store can obtain the Aberlour A'bunadh for me. If not, it's back to square one...

Too many whiskies, too little money...I also want to try some of the following:

Scapa 14
    Auchentoshan 10
    Glenmorangie 10
    Talisker 10

Apprentice

As to your initial question, I definitely prefer the Balvenie SB 15 - it's one I keep coming back to without disappointment. But if you are also asking about an Islay to try, look at the Bruichladdich line (I like the 12 or the 15) - distinctly different from the usual islay scotches. As to the discussion about the A'bunadh, I think it's a very unique whiskey, but so unique that I wouldn't be comparing it to any of the others mentioned. All the talk about it has me ready for a dram tonight though (and I do have about two drinks left in the bottle I have!).
    Dave K.

"Time Flies whether you're having fun or not."
    Or, as Kermit the Frog would say after a pour or two: "Time is fun when you are having flies!"

Connoisseur

Good God, I just tried Lagavulin 16, my first Islay. I don't think I'll be doing that again any time soon...

Connoisseur

I think from your reaction, Lagavulin must be full of "Peat"! Not my cup of tea either, but I will never say never because there was a time I disliked Bourbon as well.
    In my limited tastings I think there are much more drastic differences in Scotch than in Bourbon, at least with those "Peat Monsters"...they certainly are different. But I guess some people might find the "Sherry Monsters" as unappealing as well.
    I have only had a few of the Glenmorangie bottles, and find them to be much lighter, maybe more "middle of the road" if there is such a thing in the Scotch world?
    Anyhow, enjoy your continued exploration!

Todd

Virtuoso

I've liked single malts whether they were plain, peated, or sherried. That being said, I can understand that some might be put off by peat. If you are interested in trying something that has some peat but don't want to dive off the Islay deep end (e.g. Laphroaig, Ardbeg, or Lagavulin), I'd recommend starting off with a Highland Park 12 or 15, or one of the lightly-peated standard Bruichladdich offerings (note that 3-D and Moine Mhor are heavily peated). Talisker is a step up on the smoke scale, and the 18yo Talisker is well worth the price.

For the classic Highland style, Balvenie and Clynelish are excellent choices. I've only had Balvenie's 15yo single-barrel, but it's a treat.

Speyside - well, I wasn't overly impressed with a Macallan CS that I had - I'd rather go for Aberlour A'Bunadh instead, if I'm looking for a sherry monster. Glenrothes also makes some lovely pours. I had a 1974 Glenrothes that was out of this world - but alas, it's no longer to be found.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!