Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Re: Let's talk Scotch

I just purchased a bottle of Old Pulteney for $30. I could have bought a bottle of Laphroaig 15 for $55, but I wasn't sure if it was worth it.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by mathews View Post
    I just purchased a bottle of Old Pulteney for $30. I could have bought a bottle of Laphroaig 15 for $55, but I wasn't sure if it was worth it.
    Ahh, now we get into the highly philosophical realm of taste satisfaction (or threshold) versus cost benefit. Also known as “bang-for-the-buck.” Everyone’s taste preferences are different, so this tends to be a personal measurement. This all leads into me saying that what follows are my own opinions and values based on my own various experiences.

To begin, I personally find the Pultney 12 to be a very mediocre whisky. I personally believe the Laphraoig 15 is a much superior single malt, but at a definite cost increase. (By the way, Michael Jackson leans my way but Jim Murray totally disagrees; again, a personal thing) The Pultney 12 shows its youth. It tends to be bland with not much character or complexity, for me it’s hard to find much that distinguishes it, although there is a nice subtle brininess to it, but there’s simply nothing for it interact with to enhance it. The Laph 15, on the other hand, is very smooth and drinkable. There is a good peatiness that the extra age has tamed nicely and a hint of sweetness that compliments the peat. If you want, in my opinion, a better bang-for-the-buck of the same general style and cost as the Old Pultney 12 try a Highland Park 12 or Scapa 14.

Since I tend to drink my whisky in small quantities at a time, I generally am willing to spend a little more for what I consider a better dram. I am also one of those who usually enjoy the slightly older expressions, in the 15 to 18 year age range for single malt scotch, because for me it tends to make the whisky smoother and develop more character. For example, the Old Pultney 17, IMHO, is much superior to the 12 year old. Obviously there are exceptions to this rule. And others prefer the younger, more robust ones. Again, a personal thing.

Cheers - Bob
    Last edited by Yellowjacket; 02-04-2008 at 19:24.

Sure, I agree with your assessment, for the most part. I actually prefer smoky & peaty. But, for the $30 I find myself stuck. Isn't HP12 much more than that?

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Highland Park 12 is under $32 here in Houston. Right now the packaging has a HP18 50ml sample included in the box. Now that's an easy sell. I bought one today.

Randy

That's a great deal. It's about 35-40 in the Fort Wayne area. Unfortunately, my budget is $30.

Taster

That's a great deal. It's about 35-40 in the Fort Wayne area. Unfortunately, my budget is $30.
    For 30 bucks and peaty, try the Bowmore Legend. Its a young Islay, which as I have said before- I really enjoy. In their youngin' years (said in my 3 year old NC accent, ha!), Islays are bright, in your face, and peaty as all get go. It is after time and the influence of wood that the peat becomes more "balanced" with other elements, so young Islays are in your face. I actaully had an amazing 5 year old that was a bastard malt, in all likleyhood Caol Ila (although "they say" Lagavulin).

Even cheaper is the Macllendons Islay for about $22- I have found that to vary. Reportedly a 4-5 year Bowmore- the Legend is about 6 years old.

Someone mentioned Lagavulin 16 being a lighter Islay- that is not my experience. Big peat, sweet malt, heavy vanilla influence-its big a big, powerful malt, more balanced than it is given credit too- one of my all time favorites..

Caol Ila 12 is way underrated as well- and it ranges in price greatly depending upon where you are.

Also, the Old Pulteney 12 I had was a 2005 expression, but I found it fairly nice. Here is my tasting narrative for that one..

Score 83 (makes reccomendable in my book)

Old Pulteney 12yo (40%, OB, circa 2005)
    Gee, this is a surprise. The nose is fresh, of the sea, salty. Reminds me a touch of a Laddie'. The mouth, also fresh. A touch of peat. Salty, long on the mouth, on the finish. This is a really nice dram, one that can be savored. A complex dram, and very unique.

Of course, in my book, there are very few bad SMs, a Deanston here, or Fettecarin there aside..

Taster

All very good comments. I think DrRich made an excellent suggestion with the Bowmore Legend. Here in Houston it goes for $23. You might also look for a Black Bottle Original (with no age statement, not the 10 year old). It is a blend that contains all or most of the Islay whiskies and is very good. It has recently been introduced in the Houston area and goes for $23.

Mathews, let us know what you think about the Pult(e)ney 12. Heck (he says with a Texas twang), ol' DrRich might just be onto something!

Here are my notes for Old Pulteney 12:
    Appearance-pale gold with a touch of pink
    Nose- burnt wood, honey, salt; unlike any other SMSW I have tried
    Palate- thick, oily, sweet & salty
    Finish- long, salt overtakes the sweet
    Comments- this is a delicious and flavorful dram; and at $30 OP 12 is an excellent buy!
    Blessings,
    mathews

Taster

Here are my notes for Old Pulteney 12:
    Appearance-pale gold with a touch of pink
    Nose- burnt wood, honey, salt; unlike any other SMSW I have tried
    Palate- thick, oily, sweet & salty
    Finish- long, salt overtakes the sweet
    Comments- this is a delicious and flavorful dram; and at $30 OP 12 is an excellent buy!
    Blessings,
    mathews
    Thank you for the notes. I'll have to try OP 12 again. Maybe I was in the wrong frame of mind when I tried it before.

Bob

Well, that's a funny thing about whiskeys. It seems to me that the quality control is touch and go from bottle to bottle, let alone from cask to cask.
    mathews