Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Administrator in exile

BOTM, 1/08: Prichard's Double Barreled

Back by popular demand, the 2008 edition of the BOTM!

To kick off the new year we will explore an anomaly of the bourbon world. Prichard's Double Barreled Bourbon hails from Kelso, Tennessee. The bottle states that the bourbon is 90 proof and 9 years old, at least on my bottle from several years ago. The claim is that the bourbon is aged normally, cut to bottling proof (presumably) ,then re-barreled and aged again for a period of time. It does not however state whether or not the second barreling is in a new charred oak barrel, or a used one, nor does it claim the bourbon to be from KY. Double barreling is somewhat unique, but a not-all-together new practice. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Jacobs Well was handled in similar fashion.

I'm not sure how far this is distributed, but it is readily available on KY shelves. This bottling has not been widely discussed here on SB.com, and I thought the BOTM would make a nice occasion to archive what information is known about it.

So pour yourself a glass and add to the conversation!

Sound off
    Last edited by jeff; 02-19-2008 at 17:24.

Guru

Re: BOTM, 1/08: Prichard's Double Barreled

I posted tasting notes on Prichard's some time ago. It was unremarkable and not, IMHO, worth the premium price. And the marketing hype, even by bourbon standards, seems a little over the top.

I found that Prichard's, like the BTEC twice-barreled, to have an unusual, dull oaken taste. Not the typical astringent / woody flavor that I usually associate with excess oak but rather a flat heaviness that seemed to mask some of the other attributes of the bourbon. I probably am not describing it well but am curious to see if others have a similar reaction.

Good to see BOTM return!
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

A couple of points:
    • If you have a Prichard's that had a black-shaded "Double Barreled Bourbon" line, don't open it -- it's a collectible. It's my understanding that only a couple of barrels were included in that original bottling. (I had one, now in the possession of Cliff.) The newer one does NOT have the shading over that line.
    • If you have one of these bottlings WITHOUT the dark shaded strip, DON'T OPEN IT! Phil Prichard no longer even lists this bourbon among his 'products' at his website: www.prichardsdistillery.com Kinda makes me think it isn't going to happen again anytime soon. Even if his interest in a new, West Kentucky distillery remains, it's several years before that distillate is aged enough for bottling.
    • Again, according to his website, Prichard's has distribution of its Tennessee-distilled rums in just 24 states: http://www.prichardsdistillery.com/p...hereToBuy.html It's not easy to find.

Jeff, please understand I'm not trying to undermine your choice. Heck, I've tasted it -- it's not bad, but WAAYYYY overpriced for otherwise pretty prosaic bourbon -- but this is maybe the toughest 'get' yet posted in BOTM. I'm sure that's inadvertent.
    All that said, if anyone has it open, I'm interested in learning your take.
    Tim

Guru

I got a bottle of Prichard's shortly after joining SB.com.
    It was through the efforts of Tim (Tnbourbon), because of this I felt welomed here.
    Thanks again Tim!

The bourbon was OK, not woody, not hot, not overly flavorful.
    With lots of ice it was OK.
    This is not a ringing endorsment but I do like the fact that Prichard's tried something different.

I wonder if they have gotten around to distilling their own whiskey for this.
    They do make rum.
    ovh

Enthusiast

I can not speak to the DB Bourbon. But I have had the rum and it is good mixed with Coke. The fact this bourbon is a collectible makes me groan as I fall into the "But it's made to drank" camp and is best "shared with a few brave souls" crowd. I suppose that the reviews of those that have tasted it and state that is gimcky and OK and worth money mean I could keep the bottle intact.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Administrator in exile

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Jeff, please understand I'm not trying to undermine your choice.
    No worries Tim. Any bourbon selected as the BOTM does not necessarily carry my personal endorsement, nor the endorsement of SB.com. I selected this one because I realized that there has not been extensive discussion about it on the board, and I wanted to get it cataloged more concisely. That, and I had an open bottle

I will say that I am drinking from a bottle with the shaded background that you mentioned. I have another unopened. Are you saying that what's on the shelf now is also a rarity?

Guru

Guthrie at Toddy's told us that it is going away and it will be a collector's item.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Connoisseur

I just finished a bottle that was on the shelf for over a year. It was interesting to sample every once in a while, but I never went back for a second glass. To finally finish it off I put it in a mixed drink. I won't buy a second bottle.
    Craig

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    ... but this is maybe the toughest 'get' yet posted in BOTM. I'm sure that's inadvertent.
    All that said, if anyone has it open, I'm interested in learning your take.

That is very surprising. I swear I've seen both the double barreled bourbon and their rum on the shelves of local Hy-Vee wine and spirits as well as a few Osco's. I figured it can't be that good since its readily available in my area.

Connoisseur

This is my first time on the BOTM forum. This was one of the things that excited me about SB whien I joined the first of December. I think that trying a new borbon each month will be fun. But December turned out to be a discussion about whether to keep the BOTM forum. I am glad that members and the host descided to keep it! But forgive me if my drinking notes and findings are not the best in the world. This is my cherry review.

Upon the posting of Prichard's Double Barrel as the BOTM and the first few postings, it appeared that those who had already tried it did not give it good marks. Were these reviewers accurate , or were they "Kentucky" bourbon snobs with a prejudice against any borbon not made in the Bluegrass state? I vowed to keep an open mind and in fact start with a bias of liking this Tennessee product (since I too was made in Tennessee). This is what I found.

Beginning impressions: Nice bottle. I really like the candle wax and ribbon that seals the bottle. Color of the bourbon is appealing. However, upon removing the candle wax (or whatever it is), I find the stopper is not not cork but some kind of plastic. Call me old fashion, but if I pay $39.99 for a bottle of bourbon, the stopper should be cork. I am sure that there may be reasons other than price for using plastic; still I LIKE CORK! Strike one.

NEAT: Pouring a drink into my bourbon glass, Prichard's does have decent legs as it sits in the glass. Then comes the nose. The closest thing that comes to my mind as I smell PDB is an ash tray full of smoked cigarettes. Honestly, some of you may say that the nose is charcoal; but to me it smells, well, like an ashtray. As I take my first drink, I am expecting to be overcome with the ashtray taste, but to my surprise, there is only a slight taste of charcoal and the toffee/carmel appears as the alcohol moves to the warmth of my stomach. Then-NOTHING. It is as if you had not had bourbon to drink. While I can say that it is smooth, that is the best compliment I can give it. It gives you nothing of the interesting taste that other premium bourbons offer.

WITH WATER: I have read on SB that sometimes water can open up the taste of Bourbon. When added to Prichard's, it does "calm" down the ashtray smell. It now is more charcoal. As to the taste, all it does is to "water" down an already weak taste. It is like a flat coke-do I spit it out or swallow? I swallowed but there was no taste. My suggestion-never add a splash of water to this already tasteless Bourbon.

WITH ICE: While I expected this to be much like tasting with water, the nose was now more toffee/carmel with less charcoal smell. The taste, too, seemd to be more toffee. But alas, again very little taste that was of very short duration.

MIXED: My mixed drink of choice is bourbon and coke. Sometimes the bourbon has an awkward taste with coke, and leaves a funky after taste. Some bourbons blended perfectly with the taste of coke which is the reason this is my favorite mixed drink. Prichards Double Barrel is in the middle. There is very little taste, good or bad, with Prichards and Coke. (Maybe a good date rape bourbon- she won't know she is drinking bourbon.) It is not bad; neither can I heartily recommend it. But of the four methods that I tasted PDB, this is the best.

Conclusion: I am afraid that I have turned into a "Kentucky" bourbon snob. I will not be purchasing another bottle of Prichards. I will not be pouring the bottle down the sink(this is heresy). But I will be using it only mixed with Coke and with those friends who say they don't like the taste of bourbon, and I convince them to try it one more time.
    Mike
    "Some people were born on third base and think they hit a triple"