Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Enthusiast

Re: BOTM, 1/08: Prichard's Double Barreled

I ordinarily wouldn't have a bottle of this, but I got one from an ex-manager of a Orlando liquor store who owed me a favor. (Funny story behind it that I'll tell over a drink sometime.)

Not knowing its value as a collectible , I opened it some time last year, and the top of the cork came off, leaving the cork in place. It had dried out. So when I was done. I jammed an old EC12 stopper in the neck.

I wasn't all that impressed. I've just tasted it again earlier this week, and found that it hadn't gotten better. As others have written, nothing wrong with it, but not distinguished, and not worth the price (except for what I got it for).

On the nose, it was mostly alcohol and some underlying camphor and/or HH menthol. With water, it opened up more, some caramel and spice, but the (distracting) camphor was still there.

On the palate (watered), some sweet caramel, not as much wood as I recalled from before. Camphor/menthol /caramel on the finish.

I'm sure I'll finish it. Maybe with some other SE Michigan SBers.

Not like the other bottle that arrived at the same time - a 23 year-old single malt Scotch that was the darkest whisky I've ever seen. I suspect that it was supposed to be something special, but I found it to be undrinkably woody. I gave it to a friend who likes single malts.

Jeff
    "One never knows, do one?" Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

Apprentice

I was offered some PDB in November, so I bought some untasted. It was interesting enough to the person who got it for me, who has a brilliant whiskey palate.

My lawyer got a bottle of it from me, and I tried it over at his house.

Not my favorite, but he really seems to enjoy it, and he appreciates all the really great Bourbons, he certainly knows a great one from a mediocre one.

Just goes to show how subjective tastes can be.

I don't hate the PDB, but I'm disappointed in it, and I regret having more bottles to sell, but I suppose if they are collector's items now, then I'll get rid of them eventually.

I'm grateful to see that I'm not alone in my disappointment, I really thought that it was just me. I began to wonder if there wasn't something about the Pritchard's that I was missing.

Enthusiast

Is this a recommended bourbon? I saw it on the shelf here in Knoxville and thought it was weird being double barrelled and from TN.... There was also some VA bourbon on the shelf there at that Farragut liquor store. I think the next one I want to try from that shop is the Old GrandDad 114.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

BOTM isn't necessarily a recommendation. It's an invitation to discuss and post opinions. Jeff can speak for himself, but the criteria for selection is strictly what might be interesting to taste and talk about. No recommendation, except when explicitly given, is made or implied by selection as a BOTM.

Advanced Taster

Was recommended to me as something different, worth trying... but I'm disappointed I chose this at it's price point when I could've gotten a few other far tastier bottles for the same or even less. I felt like I was in the old Wendy's commercial- "Where's the bourbon?"

Apprentice

I was going to chime in, but it seems that this fellow perfectly expressed my experience with this whiskey - so, I'll just repost his description:

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    It was unremarkable and not, IMHO, worth the premium price...I found that Prichard's, like the BTEC twice-barreled, to have an unusual, dull oaken taste. Not the typical astringent / woody flavor that I usually associate with excess oak but rather a flat heaviness that seemed to mask some of the other attributes of the bourbon. I probably am not describing it well but am curious to see if others have a similar reaction.

Connoisseur

I visited with the Prichards this past Spring in Kelso and they gave me a great tour of the distillery they were remodeling inside an old school house. This is small batch artisan distilling at its best. The Doubled Barrel whiskey may not be seen again once the supplies are gone. They did have some "test" barrels that promised great whiskey in the future but thier passion seems to be rum and good rum it is. If you are used to the bitter stuff made from industrial black strap molasses then Prichard's will seem very foriegn to you. They use table grade molasses with high sugar content. That my friends is not industrial byproduct turned into spirit. It is top quality, expensive to use and the results are worth it. The double barreled whiskey is created with the same passion and seeing it produced adds a new dimension to its taste. I applaud their efforts and remain optimistic that, given time, we will all appreciate thier labor to supply us with good rum and whiskey.

I drank my collector's edition.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.