Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Taster

Hello from Long Island

Hi, I'm from Long Island and recently found out that a) JD is NOT bourbon and b) I like bourbon. Bought a bottle of Woodford Reserve (i know, but I'm a newbie) and found a bourbon thread on bladeforums.com started by mongo (pocket knives and whiskey go well together - everyone here should check it out).

Anyhew, went to the local big warehouse (non-chain) store where they had Blantons Bakers, Basil Haydens, Russell Reserve 90, Rare Breed, Maker's Mark, Bulleit, Knob Creek, WT 101 and so on. Picked up a bottle of the RR90 last weekend but haven't had a chance to try any due to migraines, stomach virus, death in the family, death in my wife's family (it's been a bad week - can't wait for a pour or two). But already, just by smelling the bottle, I can tell that the RR is going to be more flavorful than the WR.

Went to a smaller higher priced store yesterday. Turned out the proprietor is a bourbon nut and had all of the previously listed plus Four Roses and Buffalo Trace. And he said he'll order others if I'm interested.

So, I think my plan is to "back into" a cheaper daily pour. I think once I put a dent in what I already have, I'll have to compare BT to WT 101. what do you think?

Virtuoso

Re: Hello from Long Island

Welcome to the board from another knife guy!! I carry a Kershaw (go figure) Wild Turkey, it's a ATS-34 blade with G-10 scales no longer made. Seem common with many good things with the same name!!!

Glad your here and hope you enjoy the journey! This is the start of a long educational process! Drink Deeply!

Cheers!

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Welcome.
    As a reformed, transplanted Yankee from Long Island, I recommend visiting Kentucky ASAP.

Forget about LIPA, Keyspan and the traffic.

Come to the promised land, where the elixir of life is made and consumed with pride.

PS: If you do come to Kentucky, bring bagels, pizza and All American Hamburgers.
    Colonel Ed
    Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Comissioned by Paul Patton, 1999

"It ain't the booze that brings me in here, it's the solace it distills"

Enthusiast

Welcome

Hopefully you're not really considering putting a dent in what you already have. Once you join the forum, the total bottle count on hand seems only to rise. You may be just setting yourself up for failure, so be ready for it.

If you like the RR then try the Rare Breed. It runs about 5 bucks more but I think it's worth every penny.

As far as a cheaper, every day pour I'll give you what I think is the best of the under $20. crowd.

Wild Turkey 101
    Wild Turkey Rye
    Buffalo Trace
    Old Grand Dad BIB - this one's a steal
    Jim Beam Black
    Sazerac

In my opinion when you start to go below this price level, you start to reach the point of lesser returns on your money.

Chris

Taster

AC - the only fancy knife I have like that is a Benchmade 690 in ATS34 with stabilized rosewood and carbon fiber scales. I'm more of a traditional guy and my pride and joys are a Queen canoe in 1095 and a really old Hugo Koller corkscrew jack that my father brought over with him on the boat.

Pep - I'd love to move down there, or the Catskills - anywhere where there's some type of Appalachian mountain. I live two miles from All American -they won best burger in America in AOL's city guide two years ago.

Chris - talking about putting a dent - drank some of that RR90 last night. Good stuff. Now I understand what everyone's talking about when they mention "heat" instead of burn - and there's tons more flavor than that anemic WR stuff. There's a little bit of unpleasant medicine aftertaste though, but easily overlooked. From reading posts, people mention about their bottles fading - how long does a bottle have to be opened for this to be a concern and is there anyway to slow it down or stop it?

Guru

welcome from the lower corner of the US... the 7 yr weller is not a bad choice for an affordable pour...

Enthusiast

I've seen many discussions having to do with bottles fading. Personally, I have never found this to be a problem. I've had bottles that have been open for a couple of years without noticing any difference. I store all of my bottles in a cabinet downstairs in a finished basement.

I have no idea what the main culprit causing spirits to decline with time would be. Light, temperature or oxygen. As my bottles are stored in complete darkness the light would pose no problem. As far as temp. is concerned it's about 65 degrees in the winter and up to as high as 80 in the summer. I guess there's not much that can be done to stop the oxygen although I would suspect that the amount seeping past the cork would be quite small.

I've had a bottle of Beefeater for at least 3 years. It's down to about 25 percent left in the bottle. If this has started to fade it has happened without me knowing it. I had a good size pour over ice last week when we were having a short lived heat wave of 60 degrees here in Mass. Tasted just like it always does as far as I'm concerned.

Chris