Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Connoisseur

Re: California Coolers

Joe,

Right you are. She's great. And yet, she still sticks with my sorry ass. More evidence of her greatness (or her bad judgment...or both).

Virtuoso

I had completely forgotten about California Cooler. I'm pretty sure that's what gave "wine coolers" their name. I also remember that the White Mountain was a flavored malt beverage, which means it beat Zima to the market by a few years. I was working at a liquor store at the time.

Wine coolers came out around the same time Sutter Home struck gold with their white zinfandel.

I still think Champale and Malt Duck were the original "malternatives". They just hadn't stumbled upon the liquor name marketing.

Every time I see a commercial for Arbor Mist I am reminded of Boone's Farm and Annie Green Springs.

Apprentice

I vaguely remember seeing something about a year ago about California Coolers being relaunched in any attempt to capitalize on the wine uptick, and appealing to the young'uns with a retro-8o's vibe. It was greeted with great public silence, I think.

In terms of fortified wines: anyone ever drank Buckfast? Famous for its effects in the UK - mythically crafted by monks or some such. Hell of a name - keep expecting to see it on these shores...

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Caradog View Post

In terms of fortified wines: anyone ever drank Buckfast? Famous for its effects in the UK
    Famous for its effects?
    Please elaborate, I'd love to hear about this.
    ovh

Apprentice

Well, I first heard about it from a Galway lass who believed the Hibernians were a separate race, able to withstand far more in the way of abv and physicality than other mortals. This counts in the sack.

The best was when some poor sap in a Yankee cap would sidle up to her at a 2nd Ave bar and say, "I heard your accent - are you Irish? I'm Irish, too!" and she would wheel at him, eyes blazing, and spit, "YOU'RE feckin Irish are you, Yank?!!" She swore by Buckfast.