Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Taster

Any opinions on...

I did a search of the site, but could not locate anything on these Bourbons. The fact that they were on the retailer's 2nd and 3rd shelves should probably tell me something. ;o)

Fighting Cock, Dickel, and Rebel Yell.

TIA.

Doug...
    Ain't Life Grand?! ~
    ____________________ ~
    (___<<M>>____________}}}

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Any opinions on...

Doug widen your search parameters to 'all forums' and 'all dates', and that ought to do it for you.

As far as George Dickel goes you can find two great threads down on the Tennessee Whiskey forum. One thread is by John Roberts and the other is an in depth report on the state of George Dickel by yours truly.

On the left hand side of every forum there is a drop down menu that selects the time criteria for the threads displayed. Drop that down and select 'all dates'. Do the same whenever you select search criteria -> select 'all forums' and 'all dates'. Be sure to spell whatever it is you are looking for correctly.

There hasn't been much discussion on either Rebel Yell or Fighting Cock, but has been some.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

The Boss

Doug,
    Of course Linn gave you the right answers about the forum info, but I'll give you my opinions of a few of those bourbons.

Rebel Yell is a good deal for $9 a bottle. I'd drink it before I'd drink JB White label, and for some reason, I have a fondness for taking a bottle of it when we go camping. For the price, it sure can't hurt you to try it.

Fighting cock on the other hand is foul in the extreme (in my opinion). If you search the forum, you'll find somewhere a story where my friends applauded as I poured a nearly full bottle down the drain. I've heard people tell me they like it, but those folks are damn few and far between.

Cheers,

Jim Butler
    Straightbourbon.com

Taster

Thanx for the tips on searching the forums!

Doug...
    Ain't Life Grand?! ~
    ____________________ ~
    (___<<M>>____________}}}

Disciple

Linn\'s Promotion!!!!!

Spoken like the true moderater you are Linn, Jim made a wise choice!

Tom (You look quite dapper in<font color=green> GREEN</font color=green>)C

Disciple

Some dude name MurphyDawg did some mighty spiffy tasting note on George Dickel (LOL), under the heading Honest To Goodness Tasting notes. Personally I think his opinions are trustworthy. . .

Tom (tootin' my horn) C

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Linn\'s Promotion!!!!!

Thanks Tom! I'll be sure to be a paragon of virtue.

Linn Spencer

**DONOTDELETE**

Opps Tom I forgot about your Dickel tasting notes. Ralph Whilps also has posted tasting notes to Dickel's 10 year old 'Barrel Reserve'. If it's intel on Dickel you're after this forum surely has it.

Linn Spencer

**DONOTDELETE**

Jim Butler wrote "Fighting Cock on the other hand is foul in the extreme..." You certainly have that right Jim! Fighting Cock is also known as the "Crappy Clucker" with good reason. Heaven Hill must have wanted something to try and compete with Wild Turkey. Instead they got something as bad as (if not worse than) Old Crow. For those of you that don't know Old Crow's 'street name' is 'The Dirty Birdie'.

Linn Spencer

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

From Stitzel Weller days the Rebel Yell was supposed to be the same as Weller's Reserve but marketed below the Mason Dixon Line , any thing that made it's way north had contraband written on the case. I guess to add to the mystique .Now we have Old Fitz gone to HH and Buffalo Trace got Weller's I didn't hear who bought Rebel Yell or was it even sold. A lot of people in Kentucky are still fond of game chickens . The one on the Fighting Cock label belonged to a young man who lives nearby, he supposedly got 6 bottles of the whiskey in exchange for the picture. If the whiskey in those bottles is the same as they fill the " OLD BARDSTOWN" ones with , merely saying it is foul is being too kind! I have actually heard people say it was the best they have drank , these folk probably won't show up on this forum , they are more of the falling down drunk crowd. Maybe those 3 extra degrees of proof does it for them.

Bobby Cox