Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Administrator in exile

Re: Let's Talk About Gin

If you can find it try Junipero (pronounced: who-nip-er-o), made by Anchor Brewing in San Francisco.

Website

As the name suggests, it balances toward the juniper flavor, with some nice spice character on the finish. It is our favorite gin. Second would be Saphire and then Tanq 10.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Guru

I have had a few gin and tonics in the past. Years back. We have a bottle of Tanqueray in the house. The wife likes a gin and tonic every now and again.

All this talk of gin makes me want to try a martini. I suppose the thing to do is get some dry vermouth and make one myself. The olive is what I find odd. I keep thinking of what a gin and tonic would taste like with an olive. A rather unappetizing thought.

If I should go to a bar or restaurant for my first martini and I don't want the olive do I just say "hold the olive"?

Connoisseur

Sure. Or order it with a lemon twist (some will tell you this makes it a different drink...I'm not too picky on name changes over a garnish).

However, make sure it's a good bar. Some places make shameful martinis (vodka aside, since the prevailing mainstream sentiment seems to be that vermouth should be kept at a bare minimum, many martinis are nothing but cold gin, as discussed elsewhere). I always try to specify my ratio (4:1 gin to vermouth, usually). Picky? Maybe. But most bartenders are used to making G&T and dry vodka martinis. So I figure it's helpful to let 'em know exactly what I want.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I was surprised the other day to find Junipero at Binny's at a pretty good price. It's not out there like their ryes. I don't know why I didn't pick it up.

I'm pretty sure the Junipero is based on the same distillate as their rye, i.e., a 100 percent malted rye mash, though it's hard to say how much of that character remains at >190 proof. I recall the flavor as being very strong, but I had an early version of it.

I experimented with the Boodle's a little. Mixing it with lemon Gatorade produced a drink very similar to a margarita, though I eschewed the salted rim. I'm thinking it would be received better than some of the cheap pre-mixed margarita brands. There is some lime under the coriander in the Boodle's finish. I think next I will ice a quantity of it and see if any new notes emerge after the primaries flavors are likely softened by the chill.

I theorize from my personal observation that most drinkers of mixed drinks prefer the alcohol to be thin or almost totally masked. This preference would likely explain why vodka has supplanted gin in a number of cocktails, since the more notorius vodkas seem to average about seventy proof, whereas the gins are in the neighborhood of ninety. Also, if the vodka has a flavor it tends to be a very syrupy and simple fruit expression, whereas gin is complex.

How about Plymouth gin? I heard that is suppose to be a superior gin for Martini's?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Most of the corporate overlords have somewhere on their web site, after they have touted their key brands, maybe even their second-tier brands, a place where they list every brand they currently sell. Beam does it, Diageo does it, even places like Luxco and McCormick do it, but Pernod Ricard does not.

It took some digging but I was able to confirm (to my satisfaction, at least) that Seagrams gin and Boddles, which I think are no. 1 and no. 2 respectively in U.S.-made gin sales, are both Pernod Ricard products (so is Beefeater). I know both are still made at the plant in Lawrenceburg, Indiana, now owned by CL Financial (Angostura), and CL wants to keep it that way. Pernod Ricard has moved all of its bottling from Lawrenceburg to Fort Smith, Kansas, where they make the Hiram Walker liqueurs.
    Last edited by cowdery; 01-29-2008 at 21:14.

Administrator in exile

I have just learned that, according to cocktail lore, three olives in a martini represents health, wealth and love. I'll drink to that
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Connoisseur

Ive had many gins and Plymouth is so far the smoothest by a long shot. So, if you want a SMOOTH, easy drinking martini Plymouth is the way to go.

Regarding, Anchor Junipero, I do have this in my bar. It is a bit stiffer than most gins. I am pretty sure its over 100 proof and kind of tastes that way. Pretty good though, makes a great martini.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Vange View Post
    Boomsa Oude: aged gin, it smells like whisky. it has a bit of a bite. i cant see it being a typical martini gin. maybe on the rocks? maybe a different cocktail would compliment this genever gin? experimentation needed.
    You know, the Bitter Truth folks have a great solution to the Boomsa Genever question. It's called a 'Bittersting', and it's damned good, I must say.

Bittersting
    3oz. Boomsa
    1tsp. Simple Sugar
    5 dashes Orange Bitters
    1 ginger peel
    1 orange peel

Fill an old-fashioned glass with sugar, ginger peel and orange bitters. Muddle gently. Then add ice and then the Genever. Mix. Garnish with long orange twist over glass.

This is a very pleasant drink - but I have to say that I used the young Genever, so I can't really tell you what it tastes like with the aged Genever. Since it's tough to get a lot of Boomsa here in Washington State, I will probably use the really great Old Raj when the Boomsa is in short supply.

Kensington XO: A sippers gin! Near impossible to find and very pricey.
    Great stuff. Really - the most floral and beautiful smelling gin that I have ever had the pleasure to have. That said, I just checked the bottle, and I have the regular Kensington - I have not tried the XO. Makes a great cologne, too.....ha.