Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Sad Manhattans

Taster

Re: Sad Manhattans

I always just say "no ice", and usually say it twice to make sure they heard me in what is usually a noisy environment. I don't think 'no ice' can be misunderstood so if I *do* get served something poured over ice, I can comfortably say it's not what I ordered. Also, in restaurants when the waiter asks about drinks I say just the water for now, thanks, and then go get my drink at the bar myself after ordering the food. Call me paranoid, but I wanna see what I'm getting..

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    Its never a good sign when your bartender starts picking his nose.
    ...and then stirs your drink with his finger.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

"Just whiskey in a glass" seems to work best for me when "neat" produces a blank stare.

Connoisseur

It seems like no one is distinguishing between "Straight" and "Straight up"

To me both mean without ice. However, adding "up" at the end denotes how one prepares a martini (i.e. shaken). Otherwise why would you possibly add up following Straight?

And if I get something I didnt order, its always on the house. And I usually drink it until they get my order right.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post

To me both mean without ice. However, adding "up" at the end denotes how one prepares a martini (i.e. shaken). Otherwise why would you possibly add up following Straight?

That makes perfect sense, Attila.

If I wasn't lazy about It. I have a copy of the OED around here somewhere. The one that has nine pages micrograpgicaly reduced and printed on a single page. You use a dome magnifying glass to read it. I wonder if there is an entry for "straight up" and a citation of its first known use in print.

Quote Originally Posted by dcb View Post
    I always just say "no ice", and usually say it twice to make sure they heard me in what is usually a noisy environment. I don't think 'no ice' can be misunderstood so if I *do* get served something poured over ice, I can comfortably say it's not what I ordered. Also, in restaurants when the waiter asks about drinks I say just the water for now, thanks, and then go get my drink at the bar myself after ordering the food. Call me paranoid, but I wanna see what I'm getting..
    I'll take a chance on the drink order, what about the food?
    Jamie

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by boone View Post
    Bartender School Terminology...these are the terms in the link.

Straight Up

Served without ice. aka as just "Up", different than a "Shot" in that a drink served Straight Up is served in a stemmed glass not a Shot Glass

I have to say, that every bartender and bar I know around my parts refers to "Up" or "straight up" as:
    A drink served straight up or up is one in which the ingredients are chilled in a cocktail shaker and strained into a glass.

http://cocktails.about.com/od/cockta...traight_up.htm

"Up or on the rocks" being the most common question from a bartender if you order a whiskey without specifying. I always order mine "neat" often with a splash of water. Or I just get a water on the side and add my own if needed.
    -Kevin

"Why? Because it's delicious!"

Bourbon always did make me feel like a Giant.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. I have ordered bourbon "straight" but never "straight up" (of course that could be because I don't like ending my sentances with prepositions).

I am curious what Mr. Cowdery was refering to when he called his book "Bourbon, Straight." Surely he was not referring to a strainer and a cocktail glass.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    ..I am curious what Mr. Cowdery was refering to when he called his book "Bourbon, Straight." Surely he was not referring to a strainer and a cocktail glass.
    I think he meant "straight" as in straight whiskey as apposed to blended. as well as a bit of a play on words, as in the straight dope.....

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    I am curious what Mr. Cowdery was refering to when he called his book "Bourbon, Straight." Surely he was not referring to a strainer and a cocktail glass.
    Focus groups agreed that "Bourbon, Straight" sounded much better than "Just Bourbon in a Glass".

Scott
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?