Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Value of A.H. Hirsch 20 year?

Hi everyone. Curious to know if anyone has an opinion of the value of a bottle of A.H. Hirsch 20 year? Recently found a couple bottles collecting dust in a liquor store in north Jersey going for $156.99 each. Seemed like a remarkable find. (Before anyone asks, these are the real deal with the red wax top, not the newly released 20-year "American Whiskey").

Virtuoso

Re: Value of A.H. Hirsch 20 year?

Buy Them!!!!!!!

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Advanced Taster

I bought them the minute I saw them. Pretty much in disbelief and worried that at the checkout I'd be told there was a mistake and that they weren't for sale. But they were and I have them both in my basement.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

On the one hand, that's a lot of money. On the other hand, it's almost unbelievable that you found them. And "them," as in more than one.

Advanced Taster

Thanks, Cowdery. I was pretty stunned when I found them. It wasn't even an expansive liquor store and they were just sitting on a shelf next to a few of the common brands (Knob Creek, Bakers, Makers Mark). I almost didn't believe they were real-- like maybe they were commemorative reissues or something like that. They just seemed too unreal and oddly out of place. My wife thinks I'm nuts for spending that much so I've been trying to convince her of what they are actually worth.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by B1bomber View Post
    Thanks, Cowdery. I was pretty stunned when I found them. It wasn't even an expansive liquor store and they were just sitting on a shelf next to a few of the common brands (Knob Creek, Bakers, Makers Mark). I almost didn't believe they were real-- like maybe they were commemorative reissues or something like that. They just seemed too unreal and oddly out of place. My wife thinks I'm nuts for spending that much so I've been trying to convince her of what they are actually worth.
    The bad thing about convincing her how much they're actually worth now, is later on when you open them up, and have to explain that you bought them to drink--and not to sell. That's a slippery slope, B1B...

Cheers!

JOE

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

Why are you trying to convince your wife how much they are worth?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Because he's married?

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Because he's married?
    LOL

I think the best thing to say to her is that almost any of the regulars here would gladly take those bottles off your hands for what you paid for them.

Advanced Taster

If you put them on eBay you could probably get between $200 - 400. Along with the V/VV/E Old Fitzgeralds from the 1950s-1970s, these are the most collectable (valuable) Bourbons in the World.

The fact that you have two does mean that you can open one and sell / trade one. Or open one and display one. Or open two...

To many $160 for a bottle of hootch seems like a lot of money, but this is an excellent bourbon - easily comparable in quality (but different in taste) to Macallan 25 or 30 (at less than half the price).