Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

Help a newbie in MI

Hello, I live in Metro Detroit and I am extremely new to bourbon. My sipping whiskey of choice has been Gentleman Jack (I can hear the jeers). I had a bottle of Maker's Mark and thought it was only ok, but I didn't want to give up on bourbon just yet (and retreat to GJ).

My second purchase was Woodford Reserve thinking it was "top shelf" and if I liked it then I'd be hooked on bourbon, but if I didn't then I'd know for sure that bourbon wasn't for me. The WR is most definitely better than the MM.

So I have two questions...First, what would you recommend a newbie that's in the $25-$35 per 750ml range (my Woodford Reserve was $33 OTD)?

Second question is, how does one discover that they are a "bourbon guy" vs. a "scotch guy"? My Dad drinks scotch, but when I've tasted single malt it's only served to remind me why they started blending it in the first place.

Thanks for the info

-Taggerung

Apprentice

Re: Help a newbie in MI

I also like Gentleman Jack. bourbon has a more refined, elegant taste than Tennessee whiskey. The extra step of TN. going through Charcoal gives it a rougher edge. I also was a heavy Scotch drinker years ago. That was clearly more cleaner of a taste than Bourbon.

For me the difference is Corn and and Sweetness. The corn in the mashbill is what sets it apart and gioves it that distictive taste, as well as the simple blends of the other grains.

I am not a Makers Mark guy probably because of the Wheat content is high.

In that price range and considering where you are coming from tastewise I would consider one of the 3 B's---Bakers, Bookers or Blantons-
    They all are top brands with a good deal of Corn in them.
    My personal favorite is Bookers. with Blanton and Bakers close behind.

I am also not Woodford Reserve people for some reason. But I have had it only 3 times. Each time it was so-so

Guru

For about $35 I would go for teh WL Weller Centinal, the Barton's Birthday 2007, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, ... for $35 and under you can get some great Bourbons...

The reason you may not like Scotch is the peat... I do not like peat at all, so I do not drink Scotch...

.... and welcome to the group... I will toast you tomorrow with some of that WL Weller Centinal...

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
    So I have two questions...First, what would you recommend a newbie that's in the $25-$35 per 750ml range
    -Taggerung
    Hey Taggerung welcome to aboard, there are a few of us Michiganders hanging out here.

It is a few dollars below the price you asked for but try a bottle of W.L.Weller Special Reserve.
    And for a few bucks more then try Old Rip Van Winkle 10yo 107 proof.
    Then to spice it up get Old Grand Dad, BIB or the 114.
    After that Jack, Maker's and Woodford will be long forgotten.
    ovh

Virtuoso

Hey welcome! I'm north of the "D" in the metro area as well! Oscar nailed it! with his selections you can not go wrong! LOet me know where your at I might be close enough for you to stop in and have a free newbie drink at my place?

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Guru

Welcome aboard, I'm about half-way between the D and AA.

Weller Special Reserve is a good buy at $16.98. Eagle Rare at about $27/bottle is also a god buy. Weller Antique at about $22/bottle is also a good drink and a good value. Similar taste profile as Weller Special Reserve but it's 107 proof vs 90 proof for the SR.

Weller Centennial especially the Louisville variety is an exceptional bourbon, however, locally Tony has cornered the market there.

Cheer.

Will

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by special_reserve View Post
    but it's 107 proof vs 90 proof for the SR.

Weller Centennial especially the Louisville variety is an exceptional bourbon, however, locally Tony has cornered the market there.

Cheer.

Will
    Will,

Lets raid Tony's place, especillay the Louisville Centennial.
    Let me know.

Oscar
    ovh

Virtuoso

Come on Oscar!!! You of all people know I share! I think between you and me I have to open more bottles on the bar as they are gettin empty fast.

I agree bring Will with you though I'm up for meetin more Michiganders!

I'm sure the new guy could find Centennial if he looked around! I could help if needed!

Cheers!
    Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Apprentice

Welcome to the forum. It's already been said before, but try Wild Turkey Rare Breed. It's a good'er. And Tony might be able to help you out with this as far as availablity in your area, but my all time favorite is Old Weller Antique 107. TASTY!! Those prices should fit your budget.

I agree with Emerald...I don't really like scotch. It's the floraly aroma that I think comes from the peat.
    -James

"May you die well!" - Klingon toast

Virtuoso

you've had some great suggestions, but let me add a few.

Four Roses Single barrell
    Evan Williams Single Barrell
    Russell Reserve

And if you can find it - Van Winkle 12yr lot B. (about $42) is about as good as it gets.

Good luck on your Bourbon Journey, and keep us posted.