Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Prominence of Knob Creek

I tend to keep an eye on any press releases and press reports about the parent companies of the various bourbon brands. I have noticed for sometime now that Jim Beam parent Fortune Brands describes its wine and spirits component thusly: "Major spirits and wine brands sold by units of Jim Beam Brands Worldwide, Inc. include Jim Beam and Knob Creek bourbons, DeKuyper cordials, The Dalmore single malt Scotch, Vox vodka and Geyser Peak and Canyon Road wines."

What's interesting about this is that Knob Creek shares the bourbon stage with Jim Beam itself, to the exclusion of all of the other bourbon brands Beam sells. Why? It certainly isn't their #2 best seller. Old Grand-Dad probably is secure in that position. It may be the second-most profitable. I suspect the other reason, and perhaps the most important one, is that Knob Creek has achieved a recognition and cachet out of proportion to its sales. Personally, I'm glad to see it. When a company like Fortune Brands, at the corporate level, puts a brand like Knob Creek on its list of star corporate assets, that's good for our side, i.e., good for people who want more premium bourbon at an affordable price. It's a kind of validation. Other makers, take note.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Prominence of Knob Creek

Bleeeeeeeee! The trend towards better bourbon is indeed heartening Chuck. I'm sure that Jerry Dalton (he's Jim Beam's Master Distiller for those that don't know) told me last year that Knob Creek sales were better than 100,000 cases. Do you have a more accurate figure? That's some pretty good sales for a 'small batch' bourbon.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Enthusiast

A few weeks ago I stopped in to meet a couple of old buddies at a local pub. They're both beer drinkers, but I bought us all a glass of Knob Creek and we were sitting there discussing the taste when the local distributors rep stopped in the bar. He saw the Knob Creek bottle out, the 3 of us drinking bourbon, swirling it around, clinking ice and talking about bourbon, so he asked the bar-tender if we'd all ordered KC. When he found out we all had a glass of KC, he bought another round for all of us. "Just keep drinking that Knob Creek" he said.

So I will. I'm doing my part.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Damn , you talked me into it , I think I'll go pour one now.To TexasCarl , KnobCreek And all the rest . Smooth Whiskey Thanks man!

Bobby Cox

Connoisseur

Knob Creek has what we folks in Marketing call brand equity. First, the name itself is recognizable by many -- even those who don't regularly drink it. Second, it stands for quality.

KC has truly become a brand of distinction for Fortune Brands.

Thanks for bringing it up, Chuck.

Greg Kitzmiller

**DONOTDELETE**

Check this out -> The latest edition of the Kentucky Bourbon Circle newsleter has just come out and on page three they proclaim "Knob Creek has emerged as the No. 1 - selling ultra-premium bourbon in the world".

There is little wonder why: 1) The bourbon tastes great, 2) It's Beam Whiskey, and lastly number three a tremendous amount of money has been spent promoating Beam's bevy of 'small batch bourbons'.

But always remember this *** it was good whiskey first,*** and great whihskey after the marketers got hold of it.

I like Beam whiskey. Always have. I do love Knob Creek. In my lifetime it is the very best bourbon Beam has ever offered for sale.

Now if only I could get it at $19.99 like TexasCarl can.

Mmmm. Mmmm. Mmmm. Did I hear someone say Bleee!?

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

Tom will be up in a little bit....I bet you will hear him say it! ;-)

Bettye Jo

Disciple

I wouldn\'t want to dissapoint. . . .

[b]BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

uhm, now all I need is a bottle of Knob Creek . . . . . . .

TomC

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Linn on Tue Jun 18 13:00:45 2002 (server time).</FONT></P>

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

But Why?

Okay, so Knob Creek is the breakout hit, but why? Linn has said why he likes it, but my question is a little different. Until recently, Beam advertised the Small Batch bourbons equally, so why did Knob Creek become the breakout hit instead of Booker's, Baker's or Basil Hayden (okay, never mind Basil Hayden. It just sucks.)?

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Connoisseur

Linn,

What's interesting about Knob Creek is that it has achieved "super premium" status without being priced at premium prices like Distillers Masterpiece, Hirsch, Van Winkle, Jefferson's, RHF or Hancock.

Just wait till the marketing boys figure out they can sell a Limited Edition Knob Creek--using slightly different age or proof. Betcha they are already working on a Gold Edition package.

Omar