Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: But Why?

Chuck,

It may be a combination of factors. Bakers and Bookers are heavier, higher proofed and more expensive ($38-$52). Knob Creek, priced in low $20s, also features the most attractive packaging of the entire small batch line. Personally, I prefer the taste of Bakers -- but it's usually $40-42 in Miami.

You'd think JB would borrow a marketing page from Knob Creek and price the rest of the small batchers the same. But maybe doing so would cannibalize Knob Creek sales.

Omar

Disciple

I don't know if it is like this everywhere, but in Central Ohio the only Beam small batch you can get is Knob Creek. . . And I have checked State Stores in 4 counties. Being the only member of their "Small batch line" that widely savailable around here HAS to help sales. The Economics of it (the fact that it is realitively cheap) cant hurt either.

TomC

Enthusiast

Re: Prominence of Knob Creek

>But always remember this *** it was good whiskey first,*** and great whihskey
    >after the marketers got hold of it.

I agree wholeheartedly. The phenomenon is just like movies and music... it takes
    a good product plus good marketing to be a success. Marketers can bombard
    the public with all kinds of advertizing, posturing, branding, image making, etc.,
    but if the product is mediocre, then it will never be a real success.

Tim

Guru

I have only tried two of the four. Booker's is a bit too expensive and I have avoided Basil Hayden's based on many comments in these forums.

I don't much care for Baker's. It is too dry and "thin" tasting for me to enjoy. I still have a half bottle of it and I've been intending to re-sample it, this week. I haven't been able to convince myself to pour it, yet. Maybe tomorrow.

On the other hand, Knob Creek is still in my top five. It tastes like what bourbon (good bourbon) should taste like. It is rich, the age and the wood come through just right, and it fits my sweeter taste preference.

I am not surprised that KC is winning out. I have no knowledge of the facts, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it outsells the other three, combined.

Tim

Guru

Man, that is odd. I have to pay $32 for Knob Creek, but Baker's is just $32.25!

Tim

Disciple

Re: I wouldn\'t want to dissapoint. . . .

hey man,

be a pal and just delete the entry anyway, i was just screwin' around, didn't mean to bohter no one

i dont know how my settings changed, it never did that before

TomC

Enthusiast

Chuck,
    Knob Creek is the only one of the four that I've purchased, and that was completely due to the cost differences amongst the Small Batch Bourbons. Future purchases would keep me with KC because of it's great taste and great price!
    Bob

Novice

Linn,

At Sam's Club, here in Waukesha, a .75L of Knob Creek was $16.98. That price was too good to pass up, I picked up a bottle today.

Bob Kaufman

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

What a great price that should be getting close to cost wouldn't you think, lets hope not maybe it will go down some more.

Bobby Cox

Enthusiast

What about JD?