Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: But Why?

This might sound like heresy, but I always have a bottle of Booker's on hand, but never have KC. Booker's to me is more distictive--straight from the cask bourbon. How can someone not love that? I'm very fond of KC, so why don't I have it too? Because, so many times I'm at a bar and they don't have any interesting /hard to find bourbons--but they have KC. "I'll have Knob Creek!" So the night is not a disappointment...

Enthusiast

Re: Prominence of Knob Creek

>What about JD?

I'd thought about that a little as I was making my post.

JD would never make it as a new product today. They're
    like Microsoft... they got in early, they got market share,
    and among people who don't know any better (the majority),
    they became THE brand name in the industry.

And the way I see it, JD is better than the competition... the
    competition being Canadian Club, Cutty Sark, etc. I'll have
    a Jack and Coke long before I drink a cheap Canadian, or
    anything like Clan MacGregor.

Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Jack Daniel's always had an original image. It doesn't seem like that today because so many brands have copied it after the fact. Jack was in a square bottle when everyone else was round. Jack bore a man's name when everyone else was using names like "Sunny Brook" and "Belle of Nelson." Jack had a simple black-and-white label when everyone else was using gaudy colors. Jack was willing to be down home when everybody else was trying to be downtown. Also, after the war (WWII) when fully aged bourbon was scarce, Jack refused to water down its brand as many others did (spinning off the brand name into blends and other products that could be made quickly) and instead turned the scarcity into a plus.

Yes, Jack has become ordinary to us because it is now a mainstream brand, but back then it was considered a premium product. All of today's "better" bourbons owe a debt to Jack Daniel's, Wild Turkey and Maker's Mark for making the concept of "premium" bourbon possible.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Taster

It's also interesting to note that the History Channel's "Hands on History" profiled the production of Bourbon at the Jim Beam Distillery. The program ended with the bottling of Knob Kreek (the spark of my interest). Beam could have chosen any of its brands to finish with and picked this one.

At my local supermarket Knob Creek is the only small batch Bourbon to be found. In fact, I bought their last bottle this week. The price: $29.95. I hope to find it cheaper on my upcoming "Indiana Run". Also interesting is that on another occasion that I bought a bottle at this store, the girl at the liquor counter said: "What is that stuff? I've seen it up there but no one buys it." (It was, indeed, dusty!) After I explained things to her she said that she had always assumed, because of the name, that it was some kind of cheapo booze nobody drank! That the name "Knob Creek" made her think of "Boones Farm"!

Guru

Hmmm. I poured my Baker's, last night, and it was...

good!

That was about my sixth tasting of it and it was the first time I really enjoyed it. I suppose my taste is changing. This time, it seemed full bodied and quite a bit sweeter than I remembered.

Maybe I'm losing touch with reality.

Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

I like Bakers . Most days at Jim Beams Outpost if you go in the Beam house they pour drinks , Need to go when they have the Booker's out , anyway the day I went there it was Knob Creek or Baker's so I said Baker's . No use opening that autographed bottle. I thought it was terrific . Still do.

Bobby Cox

Taster

Linn:
    What exactly are the other small batch Beam products, Booker's, Baker's, and Basil Hayden all about? One post kinda slammed Basil Hayden. Do you like Beam rye?
    Winslow

**DONOTDELETE**

Yes Winslow I do like Beam rye, but I like Beam's other rye; Old Overholt, better.
    Due to all the Baker's banter in this thread I bumped up my tasting on Baker's.

The brains behind Beam's 'Small Batch Collection' is said to be Freddy Noe. To launch four 'new' brands at one time would be considered by most to be a very risky venture, but it worked! Knob Creek just happened to come out on top. If you haven't read my tasting on Knob Creek do yourself a favor and search for it in the Single Barrel/Small Batch topic board.

Booker's; Baker's, and Basil Hayden must be selling well enough as they are still being bottled, and marketed.

Pants Away!

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

**DONOTDELETE**

Ah-Ha Tim! Your 'depth perception' of bourbon has come into a sharper focus. As your bourbonic knowledge has increased so has your tasting ability. The payoff is the pleasure of increased enjoyment of more bourbons. The only downside is you have keep buying more and more bourbon.

Pants Away!

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Reality is highly overrated.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>