Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Enthusiast

Whats the best low cost rye?

One of my next purchases will be a lower cost rye. Here is the list of the ones I am considering.

Rittenhouse 100 11.89+tax
    Old Overholt 8.69+tax
    Saz 6 22.99+tax
    Wild Turkey (on sale) 15.99+tax
    Pikesville Supreme 10.99+tax
    Jim Beam 11.99

I’d be interested in hearing others opinions. Whats the best whiskey and whats the best deal? Is the Saz that much better than the Rittenhouse to justify costing double? Are the premium labels that much better?

Virtuoso

Re: Whats the best low cost rye?

From what I have read here, you are right in line with the choices you have listed. WT and Rittenhouse 100 BIB in particular are two that nobody here has been disappointed with over the time in which I have read comments.

If you are considering the Saz Jr, you might want to take a look at something new from WT - Russell's Reserve Rye. However, at $27+, you are moving into the middle price ranges and not the low end. It is 6YO and IMHO very good.
    Last edited by Old Lamplighter; 01-24-2008 at 18:14.

Connoisseur

I would cast my vote for the Rittenhouse BIB. I find it to be very full of flavor, yet lacking some of the "harshness" that I have found in other similarly priced bottles.
    I think all your bottles are good, and the prices as well, but I am in State controlled WA.
    As for the Saz 6 being that much better than the Rittenhouse, I would say from strictly a $$ perspective, not in my book. But do I think it is good and worth the $22.99...Yes. I paid $25 here in WA and I'm not disappointed.

Todd

Also try Michters Straight Rye Single Barrel US1 around the same price as Saz jr. Slightly less alc 42.4 I find these easier to drink and enjoy flavors. Rittenhouse 100 Rye can be pretty intense.
    Last edited by burbankbrewer; 01-24-2008 at 19:45.
    Jamie

Advanced Taster

I see some very good info above. I've never tried the Rittenhouse but I've only heard good things about it. I like Old Overholt... it's very cheap but, in my opinion, very good. Saz Jr. and WT Rye are my favorites. I'd like to see how the WTRR rye compares to WT rye.
    Kevin

"Why don't you quit cryin' and get me some bourbon?"

Apprentice

My first pick would also be Rittenhouse. It says Rye with several exclaimation points.

I agree with others that WT and the Saz Jr are great picks, too, even at their higher prices, but I'll also put in a plug for the Pikesville. It is only 80 proof and not the most complex, but it has a very bright and pleasing rye flavor.

Overholt and Beam are the only ones I wouldn't recommend if you are looking for a single one to buy. To me, they are just ok as a novelty. They are also indistinguishable from each other.
    Cornman

Enthusiast

Ritt BIB then the WT101.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The Rittenhouse is very good, but Overholt (made by Beam) would be hard to beat at that price. Around here it's usually the same or a little higher than Rittenhouse.

Connoisseur

The Rittenhouse is pretty hard to beat.
    Craig

Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies. I know taste is subjective but I thought it would be interesting to read some other perspectives. I was leaning towards the Rittenhouse. I thought possibly some of its positive talk could have been price or novelty but it seems to genuinely esteemed.

The price on the Old Overholt is a strange anomally. Its cheaper to order it than if you find it on the shelves in PA. You can't even get a drink in a bar for less than maybe 3 or 4$ with tip - that I know of.