Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: Whats the best low cost rye?

IIRC, Rittenhouse also has an 80 proof version for those who are not interested in the 100 proof style. I have also tried most of these and found them all to be very drinkable or to use as a base to "Gilmanize" your two favorites. My two that I mix together are the Turkey 101 and OO 80. It makes for a very well rounded dram. Have not had Pikesville or Beam yet.

Jeff Mo.

Enthusiast

Mozilla, you will find that JB Rye tastes a lot like OO 80. It has that same mustiness or thickness and reminds me of OGD as well. So if you like OGD you should also like JB Rye.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Disciple

I was told that Beam would soon come out with a higher proof OO. I like the affordability of Overholt and hope that they don't put it in the Small Batch collection, which is a little pricey. Maybe in the price range of Turkey rye ($18)or Bib bourbon($15-17).

Jeff Mo.

Apprentice

I've only tried two on the list. WT and OO. The WT was quite good and the OO was good considering the price. I've heard the JB was pretty good but it isn't stocked in Oregon.

Advanced Taster

I've had the Pikesville recently (stated to be 3 years old on the back) and didn't care for it straight. Sweet and spirity. Still, I've grown fond of it for a delicious, smooth, and refreshing high ball (mixed w/ 7-up). Will probably buy it again for that purpose due to the low price.

However, it's maybe a dollar cheaper than Rittenhouse so I may just forget what I just said...

Enthusiast

I did a rye blind tasting yesterday at OscarV's house. I compared the Saz Jr. to the Rittenhouse BIB. I found the two very distinct.

The Saz has a distinctive Buffalo Trace flavor...I don't know how to describe it other than that. It has the same soft vanilla that I get from BT, Benchmark, OC10, etc. It is spicier than any of the standard bottlings of the above mentioned. The Saz really benefited from some air exposure. Tag line: Soft and Spicy

The Ritt has a proof advantage; you can taste it. I get more of a medicine/cinnamon quality. Tag line: Strong and Spicy.

My bottom line: both are good and both are different than most bourbons. You should have one of these on your bar.
    For me, I'm going to replace my bottle of Ritt BIB with a bottle of Saz Jr. Ritt BIB isn't available in MI, and I like the softness/spiciness combo of the Saz.
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut

Connoisseur

Rittenhouse BIB gets my vote, it's a pretty solid value. The only other low cost rye (<$20) I've had was one I tried for the first time this weekend, OO 80, and I didn't think it was very good. It was drinkable but it tasted and smelled like it had some kind of piney household cleaner in it. 80 proof whiskeys almost always seem so lacking to me.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Enthusiast

It turns out that despite what the PLCB website says, you have to order no less than three bottles when ordering Ritt 100 and pay a small 3-5 $ fee. So, the Rittenhouse is probably out. Bummer.

For some reason I am drawn to one the 11$ bottles (JB, OO or Pikesville.)

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Pikesville is also Heaven Hill, so it should be close to the Rittenhouse, though it's not available BIB.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Pikesville is also Heaven Hill, so it should be close to the Rittenhouse, though it's not available BIB.
    Thanks. I did not know that.