Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Whats the best low cost rye?

Anybody know if Pikesville is limited in its distribution? I have never seen it in Tennessee although I suspect it to be available in the middle or eastern portions of the state by perhaps a limited number of retailers. Never seen it in the western section where I move around most of the time.

Seems like we in the west are the 'red-haired stepchild' when it comes to distribution variety in the great state of Taxxessee.

Sorry, no offense intended to those with red hair. My mother and daughter both have red hair so I am a bit more than a novice in that area........well, better leave it at that.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Old Lamplighter View Post
    Anybody know if Pikesville is limited in its distribution? I have never seen it in Tennessee although I suspect it to be available in the middle or eastern portions of the state by perhaps a limited number of retailers. Never seen it in the western section where I move around most of the time.

Seems like we in the west are the 'red-haired stepchild' when it comes to distribution variety in the great state of Taxxessee.

Sorry, no offense intended to those with red hair. My mother and daughter both have red hair so I am a bit more than a novice in that area........well, better leave it at that.
    I can't speak for West Tennessee, but you're right that it can be found to your East. McScrooge's in K'ville has it. Cheap too.

Whereas your area may be the "red-haired stepchild" when it comes to current distribution variety, I can speak volumes for the plethora of dusties mined from there! Between TNSQUIRE, TNBOURBON and TROYCE, some absolutely stellar finds have been nabbed in your vicinity.

If you're looking for a Pikesville, I'll try and snag one for you the next time I get to Knoxville. Just PM me if you want to put something together.

Cheers!

JOE

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Whereas your area may be the "red-haired stepchild" when it comes to current distribution variety, I can speak volumes for the plethora of dusties mined from there! Between TNSQUIRE, TNBOURBON and TROYCE, some absolutely stellar finds have been nabbed in your vicinity.
    You are correct. Over the past few years I have found a fairly good number of dusties in the area as well. Perhaps distribution used to be better than it is now. Anyhow, we are more fortunate than many other states. Also, I suppose we are lucky to be so close to Kentucky.

Advanced Taster

Jim Beam Rye, IMHO. Jim Murray gives it 93 pts. in his 2008 Whiskey Bible. I am in good company. He also gives Fleischmann's Rye 93 pts. I would like to try it, but I have never seen it.

Enthusiast

I have an open bottle of Pikesville, which is emptying very, very slowly. The Saz 6 is probably the best of the ones you've listed, although WT rye at $15.98 is a stone bargain.

My regular rye pour for several years now has been seventies-vintage WT Rye, distilled in Maryland, but that's only because I found a bunch of dusties several years ago and bunkered them. I down to just one bottle left, alas. Real Maryland rye - I admit I've been blessed. Great, great stuff. I'll miss it when it's gone.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Martian View Post
    Jim Beam Rye, IMHO. Jim Murray gives it 93 pts. in his 2008 Whiskey Bible. I am in good company. He also gives Fleischmann's Rye 93 pts. I would like to try it, but I have never seen it.
    Sadly, it is rumored here that Fleishmann's is no longer being made. I am also a fan of it (and JB rye). They were somewhat similar in style, but I think I slightly preferred it to JB.

I used to pick it up in Wisconsin when visiting my sister - less than $20 a "handle" (1.75 liter). But my sister can't find it up there any longer, lending credence to this.

Jeff
    "One never knows, do one?" Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

Advanced Taster

I will probably get flamed for this but Old Overholt is not bad in a Sazerac cocktail. I have never drank it neat but I have spent years in New Orleans and if you order a Sazerac Cocktail in any bar in New Orleans it will be made with Old Overholt and they are good.

Flame away guys.
    When re-arranged, the letters in "whiskey" spell "key wish," those in "spirits" spell "sip it sir," and those in "moonshine" spell "in no homes."

Apprentice

Tracy,

Old Overholt is excellent in my opinion, especially for the $$.

Enthusiast

Sorry to cross-post, but I bought a bottle of the JB Rye. I couldn't drink it. It was that bad. I'm using it for an aging experiment. So, my rank now goes:

1. Saz 6
    2. Ritt BIB
    3. Anything else other than JB Rye
    4. JB Rye

Ironically, for household cleansers, JB Rye ranks pretty well, just above Pine-sol. It gives the whole house that hard-to-capture boozy smell you find in so many biker bars.
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut

Disciple

Post Re: Whats the best low cost rye?

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    IIRC, Rittenhouse also has an 80 proof version for those who are not interested in the 100 proof style. I have also tried most of these and found them all to be very drinkable or to use as a base to "Gilmanize" your two favorites. My two that I mix together are the Turkey 101 and OO 80. It makes for a very well rounded dram. Have not had Pikesville or Beam yet.
    I had a great Combo the other night Jeff, Old Overholt Rye and Continental Peanut Lolita mixed on ice very nice the Rye made the peanut flavor jump out at you. Now that I have some Rittenhouse Rye will try it with the Peanut. I am very lucky to have a few cases of this old product of Continental Distilling it is interesting that no one makes a peanut Liquior Continental was the only one to ever make it that I know of and it is great 53 proof made with I am fairly sure for whiskey in the mix some of their Bourbon in it.
    Dave Z