Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Taster

Re: Whats the best low cost rye?

I have a bottle of Rittenhouse BIB from dsp 354 - I bought it for 17.99 in eastern kansas where I live. Is dsp 354 or 32 the better of the distillierys for this whiskey?

Disciple

For me not just because it was a product from when I worked at Kinsey but in pure Flavor taste and Enjoyment Rittenhouse Rye be it the 100 BIB or the flavorful 8o Proof it can not be beat still the best. I would not buy JB Rye but admit their version of Old Overholt would be and has been my second choice!
    Dave Z
    Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    ------------------------------------------------------

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by drunkenjayhawk View Post
    I have a bottle of Rittenhouse BIB from dsp 354 - I bought it for 17.99 in eastern kansas where I live. Is dsp 354 or 32 the better of the distillierys for this whiskey?

DSP 31 is HH.

Dave, when did HH buy RittenHouse?

Jeff Mo.

Disciple

Jeff around Early1980 or a little after that. Bought some Product, Bottles Recipy and Brand neme rights. They quit making Whiskeys for themselves then they quit bottling in 1979 but made some product yet and had lots of Left over tax paid stuff to get rid of that year. I have papers I found there stating thousands of Cases of Product to get rid of they were trying to have the Government give back tax money and turn some into Industrial. They had the stills running down there till 1985 but Whiskey stopped around 1980 and bottling their own product 1979. I will take a look at some of my Papers and see what they had on stock I do know they had 400,000 cases of Amareta Lolita there they were trying to move they had some bad Governors club they wanted the Government to let them redistill. Till 1979 all Rittenhouse Rye was a Continental Product. How long before HH got it up and running after they bought it I do not know and How much Rye by barrel Product they bought if any I do not know but they were distilling and making some whiskeys in Phila for a bit in the early 1980's and selling them to companys besides Making Antifreeze bringing it to Kinsey and bottling it there and Industrial Alcohol, cleaners and other product there hope then was to become like P&G only better because they could make and bottle their own product.
    Dave
    Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon
    ------------------------------------------------