Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: How much is a customary pour?

If you're in any kind of chain, you can bet it's pretty standardized and in the neighborhood of 1.25 oz. for spirits. Independent places are where it varies. Even in some upscale chain places that employ real bartenders you will see free pours and generous servings of straight spirits.

But one thing I hardly ever see anymore that used to be routine in real drinking bars is the practice of comping every third or fourth round. I miss that.

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    But one thing I hardly ever see anymore that used to be routine in real drinking bars is the practice of comping every third or fourth round. I miss that.
    OMG!! Are you serious? They used to do that?!? Holy Crap, imagine the possiblities, I'd have at least another $10k in my 401k if they still did that!
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life View Post
    OMG!! Are you serious? They used to do that?!? Holy Crap, imagine the possiblities, I'd have at least another $10k in my 401k if they still did that!
    Yep, that started to die out around here not long after I was able to legally drink in bars. Still happens once in a while when you tip heavily. Also remember to tip when that free drink comes around if you want another one to come around. I guess there are some benefits to living in a rural area that lags behind everywhere else when it comes to trends.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    I'm curious, what are the standard practices at everyone's local?
    The place I go, a local Irish bar (Ire Pub), free-hands the pour, and usually it's generous. I'd call it at least 2 oz. The selection sucks, but the bartenders are funny (and old), and the drinks are cheap (Turkey 80 on the rocks = $4). Plus, they'll upgrade you (better whisk(e)y or longer pour) for the same $ if they're in a good mood.
    ~ Jeff ~

"A One That is Not Cold is Hardly a One at All."

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    Yep, that started to die out around here not long after I was able to legally drink in bars. Still happens once in a while when you tip heavily. Also remember to tip when that free drink comes around if you want another one to come around. I guess there are some benefits to living in a rural area that lags behind everywhere else when it comes to trends.

This really has to do with how well you know the bar keep and how good are you at quick repor. When I use to spend to much time at a few pubs, it got where I only paid for every other drink if that... but I tipped very, very well.

About 4 months ago I was a very nice high end Steak House in Sac (will not give up the name here), but they had a great collection of Bourbon and Scotch. After an hour with one of the guys that I work with chatting about bourbon and Scotch he was giving us "free sample" of their best stuff to see if we were "possible" interested in purchasing this one or that one...

It was a hard night for deciding... we had to sample at least 20 to decide

Again... the good tip from the previous time and at the good tip at end of this time made the difference...

Guru

I've been reading this thread with more than a little shock... Maybe I drink at all the "right" places (or maybe I tip in a righteous manner..... but I can't remember or imagine a place that would pour only 1.25 oz. as a neat or on the rocks drink. More like 2.5 - 3 oz. except for a mixed drink like a manufactured margarita.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Enthusiast

how much is a customary pour? I guess it depends on the establishment. I will give you a customary pour for free at my place...

Enthusiast

Reminds me of this guy at work who says..... : a couple of fingers! as he holds out his index finger and pinkie.

Guru

I seem to remember Booker Noe saying something to the effect that the "perfect amount of bourbon to pour is two fingers......lucky for me I've got big fingers".

Just to avoid aggravation, while ordering a drink today along with my late lunch at the bar top at O'Charley's -- a chain restaurant with a local store -- I specified: "I'll have about 3 ounces of Maker's Mark -- charge me whatever you have to -- straight, with no ice or water, in one of those small snifters" (pointing).
    Later, when the bartender wasn't busy, I explained to him our discussion here, and asked how he'd order what he'd just poured me. He said, "Just about the way you did. We call it a 'double shot'. Othewise, we serve just about everything with ice, at least."
    Good to know (and that 3-oz. drink just cost me $6.79 besides). So, basically, if you're out and about and another SB.com'er isn't pouring, be as specific as possible.
    Tim