Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

Homebrewer & Bourbon lover from L.I.

Hello from LI, NY! Stumbled across this forum the other night while looking for reviews on a particular bourbon I was interested in. This seems like a great place and I look forward to contributing here. Now a little about me.

My neighbor and I used to belong to a local home brewers club (as a matter of fact I was once the President). One Saturday he and I got together to brew up a batch. He happened to bring along a bottle of Jim Beam Black. I took a sip and enjoyed it immensely. So began my love affair with bourbon. At first I only bought Jim Beam and JD. I noticed in a bar one time the other bourbons, such as Wild Turkey and Heaven Hill. I began to experiment.

Then I began exploring local liquor stores and reading up on the stuff. I bought my first Premium hooch about 5 years ago- Bookers. I wasn’t quite ready for it but I still enjoyed it. By now I have bought Knob Creek, Bakers, Makers Mark & Woodford Reserve. The other day I was in a local liquor store and found PVW20, but it was $89 (!!!). Have to wait for my birthday I guess. I see around here folks don’t go much for the PVW20, preferring the 15yr. old. I hope it’s worth the investment. Love to get my hands on some Stagg, if I can find it. I see there’s other L.I.’ers here, maybe they can point me in the direction of some good liquor stores.

I also enjoy cigars. I go to a Cigar Bar in town and enjoy a bourbon and a fine cigar. What a combo! I just pre-ordered my copy of “Bourbon At Its Best” by Ron Givens and it should arrive some time in March. I really look forward to reading that.

My current hobbies include Woodworking, Fishing (both fresh & salt) and Baking. Something about that yeast!

Well, I’ll continue to read on in the forums and try and learn as much as I can. The abbreviations get me sometimes, I can’t figure them out. I’m a little shy about asking but I guess I’ll have to.

TTFN, see y’all soon!
    Last edited by Mashface; 02-19-2008 at 10:12.

Apprentice

Re: Homebrewer & Bourbon lover from L.I.

Acronym list here

P.S. I have a porter and a wee heavy both in secondary at the moment...

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Mashface View Post
    The other day I was in a local liquor store and found PVW20, but it was $89 (!!!). Have to wait for my birthday I guess. I see around here folks donít go much for the PVW20, preferring the 15yr. old. I hope itís worth the investment.

Actually, many people here love PVW 20. In fact, I would consider it to be a board favorite. Of course it's a matter of preference, but I enjoy the PVW 15.

The price you mentioned is actually a good price. I'd suggest you buy it now if you can. PVW 20 is not particularly easy to find.

Welcome to the board. Have fun.

Mark

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Thumbs up Re: Homebrewer & Bourbon lover from L.I.

Welcome, Mashface! Now, that's an introduction. Nicely done. It should be stickied to the top of this thread as the proper way to do it. If you can make it to Kentucky for the Sampler in April, I'll GIVE you a bottle of Stagg for that outstanding effort! Mark's right on regarding the PVW20, BTW. It is excellent juice. The only problem with it, is that his younger 15 yr old brother is so doggone good, that it gets overlooked sometimes. For $89, it's definitely worth the investment, if for nothing else than a Special Occasion Pour.

Again, welcome and I hope you enjoy your time here.

JOE

Novice

Took me awhile to get back to this post. My motherboard blew and I had to get a new PC. Took two weeks. Well, I enjoyed some BT and some Evan Williams to pass the time. Thanks for reviewing my intro!!

Taster

Mashface,

If you're planning on getting that PVW 20 - drive up to Bottle Buys in Glen Cove and save yourself $10-$15!