Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

Another hello from NYC

Hey there,

I've lurked here off and on for years but never got around to registering. I figured I might as well now!

I'm Kentucky-raised but have been in NYC for the better part of a decade. Bourbon has always been my drink of choice, ever since my UK days, but it wasn't until I came to the city and had a "real" job that I started to actively broaden my horizons beyond the mass market brands and get a serious collection going.

I'm nowhere near the expert a lot of the folks here are, especially in terms of history / industry, etc. But I have been drinking bourbons for quite a while now and always trying anything new when I can, so I like to think I know a little something.

In recent months, I've been trying to drink and think about bourbon in a more critical way so that I can better articulate my thoughts to other people. When someone asks me about a particular whiskey, I have no trouble with basic information about mash bill, major flavor characteristics, knowing who produces it, etc. But I still find myself at a loss when trying to conjure words for more nuanced flavors and tasting notes or when I try to get into the history of the brand and where it fits in the bourbon family tree.

So here I am. Between promising myself to get more active in the bourbon forums here and elsewhere and starting to write down my thoughts more, hopefully I can get to where I'm a more confident and thorough bourbon cheerleader.

My favorite pours at the moment are:
    • Everyday go to whiskeys - Pappy Lot B, Eagle Rare Single Barrel, Wild Turkey 101, and Michter's Rye 10-yr.
    • Favorites I won't share - Stagg, Hirsch 16, and Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2004.

Anyway, I'm glad to be here and looking forward to some great discussion!

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Another hello from NYC

Welcome, BkBlue.

I looks like you're well on your way to becoming a quite serious bourbon connoisseur. Hopefully you have fun here and learn all you're looking for and find ways to offer feedback on what you learn.

I'll go ahead and ask, since I too am from KY but am located out of state most of the time, where are you from there?
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Novice

Hi, thanks for the welcome barturtle.

I grew up in Henderson and lived in Lexington for about 5 years before heading north. My wife is from Covington, and we're both eager to get back to our home state some time in the near future.

Taster

Welcome Mate! I had to do a slight double-read over the "my UK days." At first I thought you were from Kentucky England. Silly me.

Anyway, you sound like you have great taste in whiskey and the desire to grow as a "taster" is a wonderful thing!
    ~ Jeff ~

"A One That is Not Cold is Hardly a One at All."

Advanced Taster

welcome bkblue! you've got some good spots to enjoy the stuff near you, depending where in the bk you are.

Connoisseur

Welcome! I'd recommend checking out Blue Smoke. They have their own van Winkle bourbon bottled for them in addition to great bbq food. Jazz club, too.
    http://www.bluesmoke.com/
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Novice

Hey bigtoys,
    Thanks for the heads up. Yeah, Blue Smoke is nice, if pricy.

A handful of cases of their private label have made it out to other places. I've had it a few times at Fette Sau in Brooklyn as well (which is one of my favorite watering holes in terms of whiskey selection, plus it's just down the street!)