Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Hybrid View

Excited hello from Brooklyn.

I initially wanted to join this website last night to answer a burning question, but it seems I've been sucked in. And now I have millions of questions. But I'll keep it to two, by god.

First off, I'm a colossal fan of rye. In a sazerac if at all possible, and since the US has lifted its embargo on absinthe, a true one might be crafted tonight. If I can find that bottle of Peychaud hidden in my sock drawer somewheres...but Jim Beam rye is my bread and butter these days, as I'm not a fan of Michter's or Rittenhouse. Or Old Overcoat. But are there any other ryes in NYC that anyone knows of? A store on the island?

Second off, the question that led me here. Please forgive me in advance. Ever since I read the article in the NYTimes last year, I've wanted to try to make a leather infused bourbon. Or, preferably, rye. Since the yellow bottle finds its way onto my counter very frequently, I don't feel guilty about one little night of experimentation. Have any of you tried it? What kind of leather? How on earth do I infuse it?

I'm very excited to be here, I hope you're all well.

Apprentice

Re: Excited hello from Brooklyn.

Welcome to the forum. Have you tried the WT Rye? I think it's pretty good. Also, WT Russell's Reserve Rye is supposed to be pretty good too, although I haven't actually tried it yet. It's on my "To Drink" list.
    -James

"May you die well!" - Klingon toast

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

In Brooklyn? Yes! Try Lenell's.

Infused Bourbon? No thanks, I like my bourbon (and rye) just the way nature made it.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Taster

There's a store on Merrick Road in Wantagh that I just started frequenting. The owner's a big bourbon and rye fan. He has some rare stuff (for NY) and is willing to special order anything you want him to that he can get his hands on. Unfortunately, I don't know the name of the store.

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Could it be Cork Poppers?
    That's on Merrick Rd in Wantagh.
    Colonel Ed
    Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Comissioned by Paul Patton, 1999

"It ain't the booze that brings me in here, it's the solace it distills"

Novice

Hey, another Brooklynite here (Williamsburg).

Definitely check out LeNell's. Far and away the best liquor store in NYC for American whiskeys.

If you're hankering for rye, try to pick up a bottle of her private label Red Hook Rye if there are any left. The third bottling was just released this past month. They usually go fast though, so it may be too late.

Alternatively, she may have some Thomas Handy from the Antique Collection left. You'll probably have to ask though.

What absinthe do you pefer in you Sazeracs? While there are only a couple brands approved for U.S. sale, it's not hard to order the European bottlings if you don't mind the shipping cost.

hello, this is my first post. i hear wild turkey rye is really good, but i haven't tried it myself. there is a 100% rye canadian whisky called alberta premium and a slightly older one called alberta springs. they are 100% rye grain, but i find are distilled to too high a proof, but they are fairly cheap if you want to try them. the alberta premium one is better in my opinion and both are about the same price

Disciple

Some luck you've got, to be a rye lover so close to Lenell's. You must go. Seriously.

Try Sazerac Rye made by Buffalo Trace. Or Wild Turkey Rye.

And have you really tried the Rittenhouse Bottled-in-Bond Rye and not liked it? I fso, that may be the first negative review I've heard of it, and this is a pretty critical board.
    Last edited by Sijan; 03-04-2008 at 19:22.
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fredthecat View Post
    hello, this is my first post. i hear wild turkey rye is really good, but i haven't tried it myself. there is a 100% rye canadian whisky called alberta premium and a slightly older one called alberta springs. they are 100% rye grain, but i find are distilled to too high a proof, but they are fairly cheap if you want to try them. the alberta premium one is better in my opinion and both are about the same price

Fred, It is not bad... the 101 is worth a drink...

And welcome you both to the group... many happy drinks for you.

Novice

capodice,

I was just in Astor Wines & Sprits (Lafayette & W 3rd) yesterday -- they have the Thomas Handy Rye back in stock. FYI.