Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New York Newbie

Novice

New York Newbie

Hello from Western New York.

Having lurked in this forum for several weeks I finally decide to introduce myself. I have been a beer drinker most

of my adult life. I have recently discovered the pleasures of Bourbon.

This forum is a wealth of information. My first experiences with Bourbon was to drink it mixed with Coke or Pepsi. I like it that way but through this forum I have learned to drink it "neat".

I am a bourbon newbie. I buy a different brand each time I visit the liquor store. I have had Jim Beam Black, Erza Brooks, Evan Williams and Wild Turkey 101. So far I like WT101 best. I am open for suggestions on what to try next.

What would you recommend for either a "mid-shelf" bourbon or a good value for the buck brand?
    Bourbon is for Drinking. Water is for bathing.

Re: New York Newbie

Welcome Heat, I personally like ER 10/90 and anything with the Weller label on it. For a mid shelf Weller, I would go with Weller Antique or Weller 12. You can't go wrong with either. Hope you like it here at SB. It's a great place to learn about bourbon, and have a little fun at the same time. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Welcome aboard you haven't had a wheater yet so I would take Joe's advice and try W L Weller's Antique 107 you've had EW so try EWSB it's good there's KC, WTRB, RR1792, FRSB. WR, FC, OGD BIB, and many others. If you get lost in all these abbreviations there's a list at the top of this New to straight bourbon thread that has all of them listed. Also Joe has a post on this thread with suggestion for new members that's good. Post often don't be afraid to ask questions have fun stop by chat on Thursday and Sunday nights or any other time.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Virtuoso

I am going to echo others, you need to try a wheated bourbon. Weller Antique is good, but at 107 proof it can be a bit much. I would recommend starting with the Weller 12 if you can find it, if not, Weller Special Reserve would be good.

If you are looking for that midshelf pour I would recommend Elmer T Lee or Eagle Rare 10 SB. You probably need to try a Four Roses product, and I would recommend the Small Batch.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Advanced Taster

Welcome Aboard! You are right, this is a great place!

I am exploring a few different bonded bourbons, I find them to be very good and an excellent value.

I like Old Grand Dad Bottled in Bond, Very Old Barton Bottled in Bond and Old Fitzgerald Bottled in Bond.
    Jeff

Give me Bourbon or give me death! ~ Hondo (1982)

Connoisseur

G'day Heatsaver,

I'm new here too. Not too sure on the mid-shelf options available to you but I will echo the recommendations to try a 'wheater'. You certainly have a lot more options than us Aussies in that regard.

Just this past weekend I also picked up a Rittenhouse BiB rye whisky. I'm enjoying it very much and it has really helped me to understand a lot of what I like in my favoured WT101 and what rye adds to a bourbon. Whether I can develop this into an appreciation of wheat characteristics or not remains to be seen but at least I think I can now understand with and without rye. *EDIT* I sampled Makers Mark for the wheat, then the Ritt and then the WT101*EDIT*

Enjoy the ride
    Last edited by Pieface; 02-15-2009 at 17:55.

Advanced Taster

Welcome. You have received a lot of good advice already, particularly with regard to the wheat vs. rye issue. I have several bourbons now, and these days, instead of deciding which brand to have, I find myself deciding whether I am in the mood for wheat(WT101), Rye(Rittenhouse), or something in-between (Buffalo Trace, KC).

I hope you enjoy your bourbon journey as much as I am enjoying mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
    Welcome. You have received a lot of good advice already, particularly with regard to the wheat vs. rye issue. I have several bourbons now, and these days, instead of deciding which brand to have, I find myself deciding whether I am in the mood for wheat(WT101), Rye(Rittenhouse), or something in-between (Buffalo Trace, KC).

I hope you enjoy your bourbon journey as much as I am enjoying mine.
    WT 101 along with BT, KC are all Rye Bourbons, Rittenhouse is a Rye whiskey, Wellers, Markers Mark and the VW's are Wheater bourbons
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Connoisseur

Thumbs down Re: New York Newbie

Hiya Blitz,

Not taking a shot at you, I'm just making sure I'm not confused here...isn't the WT101 a high rye bourbon, not a wheater? Otherwise I've read a few threads wrong and been betrayed by my taste-buds!

Cheers,
    Morgs

*EDIT* Thanks for the clarification P_Elliott. Good to know I'm no more crazy than normal today! *EDIT*
    Last edited by Pieface; 02-15-2009 at 18:01.

Novice

Thank you all for the excellent suggestions. My shopping list is growing and my wallet is going to get lighter!

All kidding aside, I appreciate all the suggestions you all have given me. Depending on availability, I will try each of them as my budget allows.

I will probably take the suggestion to try a "wheater" as my next selection. I am curious as to how the taste compares to what I have tried so far.
    Bourbon is for Drinking. Water is for bathing.