Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Apprentice

Re: Old Grand Dad BiB

I found OGD BIB 100 to spicy for my taste. Could have been the rye.

Apprentice

Thanks for all the well-informed replies. I did find the Bib to be a little of the one note song but it is a fine note at that. Agree it will probably not be my standard straight pour as it is ony two bucks cheaper than WT101 which is my present favorite. I seem to enjoy bourbons on the rye side at this time. In fact I enjoy an occasional rye whiskey. We only have two or three ryes available in Oregon at this time and the high end is WT which is quite good. Old O.H. is pretty good too, especially for the price. Have heard the JB rye is good but I have never seen it in Oregon.

Connoisseur

well i picked up one of these...OGD 100 proof Bonded. started to google it and was surprised that no website came up. then went to Beam global to see that you have to dig into the site to find merely a text listing of the brand being theirs.

I guess the same is true with Old Crow...too bad that they won't/don't market these brands. You can't go into a liquor store without seeing one or the other so it's beyond me why they would at least put a site and build the brands if they have so much distribution....

Greg
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski

Connoisseur

I bought a bottle of 114 and have been drinking on it for more than a week. I truly like it and the price makes this a quality bourbon-heck it is a quality bourbon at a higher price.
    Mike
    "Some people were born on third base and think they hit a triple"

Taster

I'm a big fan of the OGD bonded. I can get it at Dirt Cheap in St. Louis for $13.50 (750ml), so it's actually $5-6 less than WT101 for me. I've been drinking a lot of premium bottlings over the past few years, and this OGD has started a "lower end" revolution for me. (It;s the economy, stupid.) I'm giving everything in the $10-20 range a much closer look and am enjoying the hell out of it. I recenty bought and tried an Old Taylor 6 that is enjoyable, and I have both and Old Charter 8 and an Old Charter 10 on deck. And despite my earlier comment, I'm really digging the WT101 these days.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jpact View Post
    I'm a big fan of the OGD bonded. I can get it at Dirt Cheap in St. Louis for $13.50 (750ml), so it's actually $5-6 less than WT101 for me. I've been drinking a lot of premium bottlings over the past few years, and this OGD has started a "lower end" revolution for me. (It;s the economy, stupid.) I'm giving everything in the $10-20 range a much closer look and am enjoying the hell out of it. I recenty bought and tried an Old Taylor 6 that is enjoyable, and I have both and Old Charter 8 and an Old Charter 10 on deck. And despite my earlier comment, I'm really digging the WT101 these days.
    YES!!! That's the real beauty of this spirit. Definitely, we love to hit the super premiums, special bottlings, and high dollar bourbons, but the exploration of the multitude of lower-end bottlings is just as rewarding. Diamonds in the rough, as they say.

Make's the journey all that more fun, eh?

JOE

Advanced Taster

I had some of this with some ice and a cigar earlier today. It was very enjoyable!! Finally, a whisk(e)y that can hold up to a piece of ice in it. I am beginning to think that bourbon is the only whisk(e)y that can hold its own with a piece of ice.

Taster

My father and I did a blind-tasting last night with:

a. Makers Mark
    b. Black Maple Hill (8 yr)
    c. Old Granddad BiB
    d. Old Taylor (6 yr)

My rank: c - a - b - d
    dad's rank: c - a - d - b

First surprise was how strong OGD turned out to be. It was bigger and rounder than the others. Nice sweetness, nice subdued oak, it had a "darker roast" quality than the others. And a more satisfying and encompassing finish. The side-by-side tasting makes you go "wow." Since I knew which four bourbons we were tasting, and their price points, I was guessing that the "c" would turn out to be the Black Maple Hill.

Makers was a close 2nd favorite, clearly ahead of the other 2. Well balanced, it just perhaps wasn't as intriguing as the OGD. I wonder how much this has to do with the proof? (OGD at 100 and MM at 90 I think.)

We debated the OT and BMH a bit and finally agreed to disagree. While I've been enjoying the OT as an after-work pour, in the side-by-side it seemed dominantly "woody" and the finish left my mouth dry.

And of course the second big surprise was the BMH not even competing with the OGD and the MM. Again, it is a bourbon I've enjoyed in solitude, but this blind tasting gave me some additional insight into what I do and don't like. ("Don't like" sounds harsh, maybe I should say "do like" and "do like more".)

Anyway, the tasting was fun and I've shaped some new opinions.

OGD BiB rocks it hard!

Disciple

One thing that may have impacted the results was the variety in mashbills -- Makers as a smooth wheater and OGD as a high-rye recipe may have thrown off your taste buds for the other two. I've discovered a strong variance in recent months in how much I like a certain whiskey based entirely on what order I taste them in. 1792 (high-malt) and Dickel #12 (high-I-don't-know, coconut?) are wonderful to me alone or at the beginning of a flight, but really taste "off" after more traditional bourbons.

Try the tasting again with the BMH and OT first, or put them up against other "standard-recipe" bourbons and see how they fare.
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Connoisseur

Kevin, I concur.

Regards,