Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Disciple

Re: Old Grand Dad BiB

One thing I can say about the OGD BIB is that the later it gets, the better it tastes. Some whiskeys don't 'follow' other whiskeys/food/beer well, but this has a strong enough flavor to come through and be that drink that brings you into the dawn's early light. I think it tastes a little too "herbal" or "medicinal" with a fresh palate, but at the end of the night, it's all butterscotch.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Guru

Andy, do you drink your neat or with some water or ice? I find some ice helps transform it ..I have the 100..it loses some of the roughness and adds some sweetness. It is not a "great" whiskey but it is serviceable.
    Last edited by Jono; 01-20-2009 at 21:58.

Disciple

I have it both ways....usually end up dropping a cube or two in, though...agree with your assessment.....serviceable, but not great.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Guru

Thumbs up Re: Old Grand Dad BiB

I can't get the BiB in my state, but I almost always have a bottle of the 86-proof on hand. At $11, it makes a very nice "well bourbon" for my home. Not ravishingly delicious, but much tastier than other low-priced choices.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    I can't get the BiB in my state, but I almost always have a bottle of the 86-proof on hand. At $11, it makes a very nice "well bourbon" for my home. Not ravishingly delicious, but much tastier than other low-priced choices.

Tim
    That's a great price, Tim....'round here the 86 is $15.99 & the BIB is $17.99...114 is not available. For $17.99 I can also get EC12 or $20 for WT101 both of which I like better than either of those. Hard for me to wanna grab an OGD again when I can upgrade for the same cost...if it was $11, I'd probably stock one.

Andy

Advanced Taster

I'll keep your post in mind on my next trip to my local ABC store. Last time around, despondently eyeing the meager choices, I decided to try a bottle of Old Charter 8. That was eleven bucks that could have been much better spent ...

Larry
    I got the St Louis blues, I'm blue as I can get.
    I sent Louis to the liquor store, and he ain't come back yet.
    -Jimmy Johnson, "The Twelve Bar Blues"

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    I'll keep your post in mind on my next trip to my local ABC store. Last time around, despondently eyeing the meager choices, I decided to try a bottle of Old Charter 8. That was eleven bucks that could have been much better spent ...

Larry
    You guys in Bama should try the Virgin 7yr 101 bourbon. It's at every ABC store that I've been to in your state. I try and pick up a bottle whenever I'm heading through Alabama. I'm pretty sure it's the same juice as the Old Ezra 7 yr 101, which I have enjoyed for several years now. But, the Old Ezra can be hard to find, so I've gone to primarily picking up the Virgin. Right around $12. It's very tasty.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Exclamation Re: Old Grand Dad BiB

The Virgin bourbon has been around as long as I can remember. We used to buy it sometimes back in my early college days (very early 70's). We always considered it to be rot gut.

So, I should give it a try?

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Disciple

Tim, the Virgin you had was probably made at Meadowlawn...the current version is a HH distillate. For $12 a 750ml, it is hard to beat. I won't say that it is some of HH finer juice, but again...it's $12. If you like 101 then it will work just fine. I would like to try it's older brother...I think it's 10 yrs? Anyway, there are four different varieties if you can find them.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

The Virgin bourbon has been around as long as I can remember. We used to buy it sometimes back in my early college days (very early 70's). We always considered it to be rot gut.

So, I should give it a try?

Tim
    Yes, sir. I highly recommend it. Of course, as always, YMMV!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama