Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Wild Turkey 8 year?

I was wondering if WT is releasing WT 8 year throughout the US or just in other countries. I'm wondering because in WA all the state stores I've been to list WT 101 8 yr as being in stock and when I go to the store the WT 101 without an age statement is sitting on the shelf. The shelf tag even says WT 8 year and I am confused. Is the state misstating the age or is the WT101 w/out an age statement now 8 years old? Any input would be appreciated.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Wild Turkey 8 year?

I would guess that the UPC code on Wild Turkey hasn't changed in quite a while. WT101 used to be an 8yo, then it was No. 8, now it's just plain old 101...if the UPC hasn't changed then the state hasn't had any reason to update the listing in the books...changing the UPC is problematic for distillers, as then they have to go and get the product relisted by all of the distributors and states and tax men...and on and on...I'd guess they didn't change it for this reason.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Today's WT 8yo all is distributed overseas and/or duty-free.
    The domestic standard WT offering once was the 8yo, but that ceased c. 15 years ago, when it became -- briefly, No. 8 -- and, finally, NAS.
    The WA labelling snafu is an example of the efficiency of government bureaucracies. In this case, either no one's noticed, or no one's bothered to correct, a 15-year-old error.
    Tim

Advanced Taster

On the WT website they show a WT NAS, 8, & 12, along w/ the other flavors. Too bad consumers in WA state are being told they're getting 8 year.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by felthove View Post
    On the WT website they show a WT NAS, 8, & 12, along w/ the other flavors. Too bad consumers in WA state are being told they're getting 8 year.
    And they show WT Russell's Reserve 10yo 101 last I checked...they haven't updated it in forever...
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    And they show WT Russell's Reserve 10yo 101 last I checked...they haven't updated it in forever...
    No, they finally updated the RR 101 to RR 90. I guess it's really gone...boo hoo.
    -James

"May you die well!" - Klingon toast

Guru

I questioned my contact at PR about the website and they admitted that the site isn't kept up to date as it should be. As stated, you can only find WT 8 year in duty free or overseas. If you dusty hunt, you may be able to find the 8 year 101 on the shelves. I've been able to come across a couple 1.75L of the same. It's very good stuff.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Advanced Taster

The 8 year is available at duty free for $20. Should I snag it and will it be better than the NAS bottling by a margin?

Connoisseur

jeez, yes, snag it. snag 3!
    HUP!

Connoisseur

The 8 year is available at duty free for $20. Should I snag it and will it be better than the NAS bottling by a margin?
    The 8 YO I purchased in Duty Free was $20 and it was 1L, not 750!!!
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...