Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: sherry

sherry

Hi all, I bought a cheep bottle of sherry and its now opened and sitting in my liquor cabinet. how long does it last in there?

Virtuoso

Re: sherry

Until you drink it?

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

i've already had a glass or two of it. i only used it to give my little 1L oak cask some flavour before I started aging my 3 year old scotch. i aged the sherry for a week and then put it back in its bottle. now that bottle is in my liquor cabinet. i will age the scotch for a month or more.

Quote Originally Posted by ACDetroit View Post
    Until you drink it?

Tony

Virtuoso

Very cool! Have you poured the sherri for a drink afterward? Or are you looking to use it again on the next barreling? You have done this before I presume?

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

i did try it after the 1 week in the cask and i did taste the oak. it tasted good. problem is that I don't drink during the week. I'll drink it on weekends untill it goes bad. and no, i haven't done this before. I bought the cask and the 3 year old scotch from the LCBO in Ontario.
    they don't sell it anymore for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by ACDetroit View Post
    Very cool! Have you poured the sherri for a drink afterward? Or are you looking to use it again on the next barreling? You have done this before I presume?

Tony

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by velocci View Post
    Hi all, I bought a cheep bottle of sherry and its now opened and sitting in my liquor cabinet. how long does it last in there?
    If you intend to drink the sherry it depends on witch type it is. For the 2 lightest ones fino and Manzanilla you cant keep them open more than a day or 2. They are more sensitive than normal white or red wine. The heavier and the sweeter ones are very more undestroyable.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Enthusiast

Fino and Manzanilla will keep much longer in the fridge. Besides, fino tastes best cold.
    Leif is right...Oloroso lasts quite a bit longer. Oloroso is, hands down, my favorite member of the sherry family.

For most wines, the best way to "keep" them for a longer period of time is to transfer the contents into a smaller container, removing all of the air. I use Perrier bottles or used plastic water bottles. Just make sure there is no air in contact with the wine, and you should be good for weeks to months.
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut

Enthusiast

If it is oloroso than you can keep it good for a very long time but keep in mind that the quality gets lesser each time you pour a glass,other types last between the3 days and 2 weeks.Sherry is a good aperitiv drink or sip it in combination with smoked chicken or with cashewnuts as an appetizer.A cheaper drink is called huelva it doesn`t belong to the Jerezregion,it lies next to it,but they also use the florsystem for their wines.They too have a geographical protected region though it is not well known,in Europe sherry is the #1 wine that is made by this process,no doubt it is the same in the U.S.
    Eric.
    Netherlands