Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Wine...

Connoisseur

Red Wine...

It must have happened at about the same time that I realized my taste for Whiskey suddenly developed, I enjoy Red Wine.
    Trying to get some kind of "taste history" going, I have limited myself for the time being to WA wines. I have had Syrah, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Malbec (actually this one was NZ). I have enjoyed all the bottles I have tried, and they have all been lower end bottles (less than $12) for the most part.
    It has become pretty apparent to me that like Bourbon, I am going to have to open bottles side by side, or find some tasting spots, because my memory is so poor. I wish they would last longer once open...
    I have been searching for a WA Pinot noir, there are a few but they have been elusive.
    I think the Cabernet Sauvignon has been my favorite. The bottles I have had have seemed more complex.
    I have had many of the Columbia Crest bottles and just like the varieties I am going to have to try their Two Vines, Grand Estates and Reserve bottles side by side to pick up the differences.
    My wife's cousin's husband works for Long Shadows Winery in Walla Walla and I got three very nice bottles for Christmas, but I am waiting to open them when I have someone to share them with.
    It's a nice change once in a while, and does go so well with dinner.
    Just never seems to end...what a slippery slope I'm on...
    Last edited by T47; 01-30-2008 at 20:57.
    Todd

Guru

Re: Red Wine...

Quote Originally Posted by T47 View Post
    It must have happened at about the same time that I realized my taste for Whiskey suddenly developed, I enjoy Red Wine.
    I have long suspected my love for bourbon and the fact I like red wine are related. The tannins perhaps.

Guru

For me, it was the bold reds from France, Italy and CA that drove me to the bourbons.

I have always been a CA wine hor, but as my taste matured, my interest in whiskey grew.... I finally matured into Bourbon and I have been in bliss since.

The price of a great bottle of bourbon is a fraction of that for wine.... and you get far more from it...

Don't get me wrong, I love my wine, but my daily is bourbon!

Connoisseur

I LOVE RED WINE! To start listing what I have and have tried is too long. My only issue is that there are SO many types of wines out there and so many brands of each type! I'd love to try it all, maybe in a 2nd life. Nothing goes better to me with dinner than red wine, no matter what my fare.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I like red wine too - good red wine. I would say 9 out of 10 reds I drink I don't like, regardless of price.

I am convinced a lot of European reds go half-sour in the bottle before we get them.

I'm not a big fan of 13.5% ABV and over reds full of extract, I find them undrinkable for most purposes.

I like a fresh-tasting, round, dry red wine that isn't half-sour, tannic, too alcoholic, too jammy or too sulphured.

What should I buy?

Gary

Enthusiast

I'm not sure what you should be buying. But I did read in the Wall Street Journal that the 2004 Chiante's are quite good all around. I've had a half dozen and found them quite enjoyable. I was brought up on red wine with dinner just about every night and I'm quite sure that it was inexpensive table wine and I probably wouldn't want to have it any other way.

Even something simple and cheap such as Big House Red or Love my Goat is fine to go with some pasta or roast pork.

Chris

Guru

Thumbs up Re: Red Wine...

I am also a lover of red wine. I would like to point out that the Bordeaux's that are now in the stores, 2005 vintage, are generally excellent and generally inexpensive. Yum!

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Guru

Talking Re: Red Wine...

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    I am also a lover of red wine. I would like to point out that the Bordeaux's that are now in the stores, 2005 vintage, are generally excellent and generally inexpensive. Yum!

Tim
    It helps that the French are back in favor!

Connoisseur

Following up on Tims comment about Bordeaux 2005. This 2005 vintage got rated the highest in 20 years by many critics especially Robert Parker. Overall quality of this vintage is fantastic. Of the few I have had thus far that are on shelves they have been really good.

Virtuoso

But usually when they rate a Bordeaux vintage they are talking about those bottles that cost hundreds of dollars and shouldn't be opened for decades. Does that also hold true for those under $20 bottles? Those are the bordeaux wines I actually buy, maybe not the Mouton Cadet, but the next step up.